Panthers prepare for House of Champions

Dillan Schorfheide

Lindsey Wood competes in the distance freestyle competition during a meet against St. Louis University on Oct. 19 at the Padovan Pool.

Eric Hendrix, Swim Reporter

After losing a hard fought meet against Ball State last weekend, the Eastern swim teams look to get ready for their weekend long House of Champions meet before Thanksgiving break.

Freshman swimmer Jake Gleeson briefly reflected on the past meet.  

“The Ball State meet was really good; I got my first win in my 200-fly, and I think for the most part we did pretty well. We had a lot of people come out with wins,” Gleeson said.

Gleeson also mentioned standout performances by Greg Hample and Scott House who both ended up with two first place finishes a piece against Ball State.

“I’m looking forward to conference and this upcoming meet. I know there’s a lot of people trying to get a lot of records this year, so I’m just looking forward to swimming as fast as we can and really race each other,” Gleeson said. “Hopefully everyone can get the times they want and get a lot of records broken.”

Jaylan Butler, another freshman swimmer, also briefly talked about the team’s performance as well as his own.

“I didn’t get the chance to travel; my back was kind of messed up; I had an injury and sat out,” Butler said. “From what I heard and saw they swam to best of their abilities and didn’t let the lack depth get to them.”

Butler went on to mention both him and teammates being excited for the next meet.

“I know everyone’s looking forward to the meet this weekend,” Butler said. “I’m rested up; I feel a lot better.”

He expressed feeling eager to go against fast competition.

“I heard it’s supposed to be a lot of fast people there, like this meet is usually where you get your best times other than conference,” Butler said. “I’m really excited. I like racing people that are a lot faster than me because it just gives me the motivation to go after them.”

Butler talked about maintaining a program after the meets for the break that would allow him to stay prepared for upcoming meets.

“I think we’ve all surprised ourselves with the times we were able to swim the first half of the season, and that’s good. I know we’re all looking forward to this meet; we’re excited for it and ready to race fast,” Butler said.

Eric Hendrix can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]