Eastern blows out Lincoln Christian 97-34

Adam Tumino

Eastern freshman Jordyn Hughes advances the ball on offense against Lincoln Christian on Nov. 12. Eastern won the game 97-34 in Lantz Arena.

JJ Bullock, Sports Editor

The Eastern women’s basketball team’s Monday game against Lincoln Christian University was essentially supposed to be a confidence booster for the Panthers. After stomping Lincoln Christian 97-34, it’s safe to say the game served its purpose. 

Players all up and down Eastern’s roster were productive in the win, the bench combined for 57 points and nine players scored seven or more points in the win. 

“I thought our starters got us off to a great start and looked very confident,” head coach Matt Bollant said. “I thought we were more disciplined with our shot selection and we played defense. I like the fact that we scored 23 in every quarter and didn’t give up 10 in one quarter, so I thought we were a little more consistent.”

All 14 players on the roster played nine or more minutes in the game, and only one player did not make at least one basket for the Panthers. This is the type of depth and bench production Eastern yearned for last season and hopes to see continue this year. 

“Obviously we’re deeper than we were last year and our bench did not play well at Butler,” Bollant said. “We played well against Oakland City and now we have got to get them to be consistent and do it against Fort Wayne. But we’re definitely getting more bench play and better production off our bench, which we didn’t always have last year.”

Eastern’s domination began essentially the moment the game clock started ticking as the Panthers jumped out to an early 15-2 lead four minutes into the game and never looked back as Eastern kept the pedal on the floor on its way to a 63-point win. 

Eastern pressed Lincoln Christian early in the game on defense, leading the Red Lions into fumbling some dribbles and throwing errand passes. By the time everything was said and done, the overwhelmed Christian Lincoln offense had committed 34 turnovers, leading to 37 Eastern points. 

“Being plus-30, that’s a pretty big margin for the points off turnovers, scoring 37,” Bollant said. “I thought Kira (Arthofer) and Jordy (Jordyn Hughes) did a good job when they got out on the open floor and turned some turnovers into layups which was great.”

Sophomore guard Taylor Steele, who leads the team in scoring this season, once again paced the Panthers on offense. She put up a game high 16 points on 6-of-9 shooting, 4-of-5 from three.

“Yeah I would say I was feeling it, but confidence is definitely a key because I’m just believing it’s going in,” Steele said. 

Steele knocked down just about every open look she got, and she is now averaging 13 points a game this season. 

“She has done the work to get in the gym and do extra,” Bollant said. “Shooters have got to do extra, and you’re not a consistent shooter if you’re not doing extra, and she has been in doing extra.”

Eastern opened its season with a 102-43 over Oakland City, a team much like Lincoln Christian, and followed that with a 72-37 loss to Butler in the following game. Eastern will face a similar situation this week; facing a small opponent like Lincoln Christian right before a game against a team that cannot be taken as lightly in Fort Wayne.

“Thursday is a big game for us,” Bollant said. “Fort Wayne put up a lot of points against us last year … we scored plenty; we just didn’t stop them at all. So, I said it’s going to be a good measuring stick to see where we’re at defensively. I believe we’re better, they believe we’re better, now let’s go show it on Thursday.”

JJ Bullock can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]