Four senior volleyball players recognized for efforts

Tom O'Connor, Volleyball Reporter

It’s all over.

On a weekend in which Eastern succumbed to the top two teams in the conference for the final two games of the season, two seniors, Taylor Smith and Abby Knight, concluded their collegiate volleyball careers on the Lantz Arena hardwood.  

In losses of 3-0 and 3-1 to Murray State and Austin Peay respectively, Eastern, which did not get any closer than two in either of the matches, acknowledged the seniors in a ceremony. 

The Panthers, who finished two spots shy of tournament contention, remained at the precipice for most of the 2018 season.  

The Panthers fell victim to a bludgeoning by the Racers in October.  Redshirt juniors Anne Hughes and Gina Furlin, both seniors according to academic rank, still have another year of eligibility. 

Gina Furlin: 

After redshirting her freshman season, Furlin earned a spot on the Mississippi State Maroon Classic in her first season on the court, taking back the greatest share of assists on the entire roster.  Soon she would be credited with 151 digs and 18 aces the year to follow.  Furlin starred for Hamilton Southeastern high school where she set a record for most assists in a match, before establishing herself as a tenet of the Eastern volleyball team.  

Anne Hughes: 

Landing Hughes four years ago, the Panthers knew they were awarded with a defensive specialist who, unlike other high school prospects, received two mentions on the All-Conference team. As scarce as such accolades might be in high school, she kept adding to her assemblage of awards, capturing Co-Defensive player of the week on more than a few occasions, throughout her college years.  The conference trumpeted Hughes’ power and athleticism as characteristics that embodied the prestige of the award. She topped the OVC in digs as a redshirt sophomore.  Her season high came against none other than Murray State.  

Abby Knight:

Knight, one of four Panthers to be ranked among the top ten in a statistical category, closed out the season with a .264 hitting percentage, which is slated as the eighth best mark in the conference. She had a season high 16 kills in a match versus Southeast Missouri that, despite her efforts, culminated in a 3-2 defeat. Every year she has been decorated with the OVC Academic Medal of honor, endowed on those players with the highest grade point average in a conference sport.

Taylor Smith:  

From OVC All-Newcomer as a freshman to an All-OVC First team mention as a junior, Smith could very well be selected for a prize of recognition this season, too.  

Following her junior season, when she led the NCAA in triple doubles, she was plagued with a nagging ankle injury, suffering the setback at the Drake tournament. The Mattoon native established herself early on, accumulating a top-10 mark in triple doubles by the end of her freshman season.

Tom O’Connor can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].