Global Cultural Night set for Friday

Michael Tomasetti, Contributing Writer

International Education Week kicks off with Global Cultural Night from 7 to 9 p.m. Friday in the University Ballroom of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

Sarah Dodoo, the president of the Association of International Students, said there are 319 international students from 52 different countries on campus this semester and she said the event is open to all students who want to celebrate Eastern’s international students. 

She said this is an opportunity to celebrate diversity and culture with music, fashion and dancing.

Dodoo said she wants everyone to invest time in the opportunity to meet with international students. 

“People should appreciate the diversity EIU provides, along with learn about each culture,” Dodoo said.

She, along with her leaders of AIS, said they would like to see people coming out for all the events this week offers. 

“It is always great seeing more and more people show up,” Dodoo said. “Having more people moving towards a positive direction and try to see the beauty in unity that the events bring.” 

Along with Global Cultural Night, International Education week has many events that highlight the diversity and culture Eastern has through the representation of the different cultures present on campus. 

Events include international badminton games on Saturday, a multicultural worship service on Sunday, and other events everyday until Thursday.

Dodoo said all Eastern students are welcome to come and immerse themselves in the diversity that is present on Eastern’s campus. 

Michael Tomasetti can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].