2 winners walk away with gift cards at UB Lip Sync Battle

Dee Luter, Staff Reporter

Two people performed and won two prizes Friday night during the University Board’s Lip Sync Battle. 

Lauren King, the UB spotlight department chair, said because of a lack of proper marketing for the event, it was only an hour long with just two performers. 

However, that did not stop those in attendance from having fun. 

King said she loves lip sync battles and thinks they are funny to watch and although it was not the turn out she expected, she did get a chance to perform herself. 

She sang Cardi B’s Bodak Yellow. 

“I thought it was a song that could turn up everyone and get everyone involved,” King said. 

Janai Vanellis, a sophomore family and consumer sciences major, won a $50 Amazon gift card after singing Bruno Mars’ That’s What I Like. 

She said she performed because King was her friend and she wanted to support her. 

Vanellis said she did not prepare for the event but was not nervous because of her song choice. 

“That’s why I like Bruno Mars because I knew it was a popular song and everybody should know it,” Vanellis said. 

After the performance, as UB members were putting things away, two students Stevie McDunn and Hannah Donegan showed up late but performed anyway. 

McDunn, a freshman communication studies major, and Donegan, a freshman communication studies major, said they practiced the event for about a week. 

Donegan said she was still nervous about performing but McDunn said he is used to performing and was not nervous. 

The two performed a duet and sang “Bop to the Top,” from High School Musical. 

Even though they did not win, they said they would definitely do it again next year because they were “feeling it” and “it was great.” 

Dee Luter can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].