Coronation, new pep rally set for Friday night

Madelyn Loellke, Contributing Writer

The University Board changed how Homecoming will be conducted this year by moving Coronation to Friday night and combining it with a pep rally that is replacing the old homecoming staple, “Yell Like Hell.”

The pep rally and coronation will be from 7-9 p.m. Friday in McAfee Gym.

Emonie Jordan, a UB Homecoming co-coordinator, said the main reason for the change is to have more student involvement in Homecoming.

“Throughout the past years with the “Yell Like Hell” event, we were seeing only Greek Community involvement. Which is not a bad thing, but… homecoming and “Yell Like Hell” was always supposed to be a chance for RSO’s and residence halls to get involved. It used to be that only the Greeks showed up, rather than the whole campus community,” Jordan said.

For Jordan and the rest of UB, it appears to be working.

Jordan said she has seen more students involved in Homecoming week from every corner of the campus, and she hopes it stays strong all the way for Friday night’s pep rally.

Jessica Jimerson, a senior kinesiology and sports studies major, said she is incredibly excited to be an MC for the pep rally.

She used to participate in “Yell Like Hell” and said she believes this will be a great replacement and chance for everyone to get school spirit and interact with everybody.

The Homecoming Court’s Coronation will also take place during the pep rally.

“We moved the Coronation to Friday to build anticipation, and just to give everyone something to look forward to for the rest of the week,” Jordan said. “It is a time to recognize the student body, and what you are a part of. It’s a great way for freshmen to see what they can connect to and get to know the rest of Eastern.”

The date is not all they changed this year, but the court’s nominees will no longer be in formal dress to help enforce that this year the UB is focusing on a night for everyone.

“It’s EIU gear, which fits in well with our theme for the week, ‘This Is Us.’ The crowning will happen in the middle of the event, and it just didn’t make sense to have people still be all dolled up or in heels for the rest of the night.” she said.

Jordan said people need to participate in the Homecoming festivities even if it is only in one event.

“(Students) should go and see what their university has to offer, and they will get out what they put in. If they come in with a positive attitude they are going to have fun.”

Madelyn Loellke can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].