RSOs host events, fundraisers for Latino Heritage Month

Coriama Vazquez, Contributing Writer

Several registered student organizations and academic departments are bringing National Latino Heritage Month to campus by hosting various events and fundraisers until Oct. 9.

The Latin American Student Organization, Esperanza, Alpha Psi Lambda (Latino co-ed fraternity), Latin American Studies, Newman Catholic Center, Sigma Delta Pi (Spanish Honors Society) and other departments are all sponsoring the events and fundraisers on campus. 

This year’s theme is “Sueño Sigue,” which translates to “the dream lives on.”

Lina Lopez, a junior business major and treasurer of Esperanza, said this month means the Latino community is active and celebrating the culture.

She said it is important to stay active and involved on campus so that students feel included and celebrated.

“It shows that EIU cares about our culture,” Lopez said.

Lopez said Hispanics account for a small percentage of students on campus, and to her organization (Esperanza) this means that keeping traditions alive during the month (by hosting events) is a way to grow as a community.

“(It’s also a way to) attract and teach more students to engage with the Latino culture,” Lopez said.

The purpose of the fundraisers allows organizations to support their weekly activities where organizations engage with other Eastern students.

Lopez said Esperanza believes these organizations are vital at Eastern because it motivates students to integrate with the campus community, to find friends, network and work towards succeeding together.

“Latino Heritage Month means inclusivity, it means celebration, it means diversity and recognition. Celebrate it,” Lopez said.

Coraima Vazquez can be reached at 581-2812 or

[email protected].