ROC Fest kicks off Monday

Analicia Haynes, Editor-in-Chief

The Residence Hall Association is hosting its annual “ROCFest,” the campus-wide competition between residence halls, starting Monday.

This year’s theme is “Panthers go to Hollywood,” and ROCFest will kick off this year with the Panther Babies search on Monday that lasts until Thursday and a trivia night at 5 p.m. Monday in Pemberton Hall’s Great Room.

Those participating in the hunt for the Panther Babies will have to wait for RHA to make a post on its Facebook page indicating that the search has begun.

RHA President Chris Dixon said ROCFest is intended as a way to celebrate the on-campus community and unites the residents in each hall.

“It creates a sense of friendly competition between (the halls), which is a great thing,” Dixon said.

Julia Contreras, a representative from Andrews Hall on RHA, said ROCFest is an opportunity for people to get involved and make new friends.

She said aside from getting involved and having a competition while having fun, she also said it helps students relieve stress.

“We all know school can get us very stressful and what better way to undo the stress than get involved and go against other halls and get points for your hall,” she said.

Dixon and Contreras said ROCFest helps create lasting memories as well, similar to the ones they share.

Dixon said one of his best memories of ROCFest was placing in second in the boat race last year. He was a resident in Douglas Hall and said though he was just in the support group, the small victory was still a great feeling.

Dixon said another great feeling he remembered from ROCFest was searching for Panther Babies.

“I have all these memories just rushing through my head,” Dixon said. “I will never forget just sitting in Douglas Hall, watching my Facebook feed (and) I’m scrolling through like, ‘Please post, please post,’ and then boom it posts, it’s amazing (the feeling of anticipation).”

Contreras said her favorite ROCFest memory was during an Andrews Hall Council meeting last year when she was scrolling through her Facebook feed to see when the RHA would post about the Panther Babies.

“I was on my phone, while listening to what was going on and then when the message came up, the RA (she was sitting next) looked at my phone and said, ‘Hey guys, the Panther Babies are out,’ and I jumped over a chair and went dashing through the door and people were laughing so hard and I was laughing at myself because it was so funny,” she said.

She said she came back, after finding four “babies” and apologized for how she reacted.

“They (said), ‘No, you made everybody laugh, that was just funny,” she said.

Overall, Dixon said the sense of comradery among the residents and the memories that come from participating in ROCFest is one of the best parts of the week.

Contreras said the best part of ROCFest would have to be the team spirit the halls experience and said she will go with anyone who might feel nervous about attending any of the events.

She said last year when she was a freshman, people helped her out and this year she is giving back.

“(I want to) show you it’s not that bad,” she said.

Dixon said residents, especially the ones that are hesitant about participating in ROCFest, have to just go for it.

“If you want to get involved, if you want to have a chance to become a (resident assistant) or get involved in RHA then ROCFest is a great starting point for that,” Dixon said. “You see everybody working together.”

On Tuesday, there will be a movie star scavenger hunt from noon to 3 p.m. all over campus; Wednesday residents can compete in a movie premiere obstacle course at 4 p.m. in the North Quad; and on Thursday, the winners will be announced for the window painting contest that was judged on Sept. 20 as well as the boat races which will start at 5:30 p.m. at Campus Pond.

For more information, students can visit the RHA Facebook page at EIURHA.

Analicia Haynes can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].