Booth Library holds fall book sale

Melissa Jabek | The Daily Eastern News

Addison Bayer, a sophomore majoring in jazz piano performance, looks for at books at the book sale outside of Booth Library.

Logan Raschke, Staff Reporter

Emily Oberg, a junior double majoring in philosophy and political science, looks around at the book sale outside of Booth Library on Wednesday.
Melissa Jabek | The Daily Eastern News

Booth Library hosted the fall book sale by the clock tower Wednesday morning.

Everyone was welcome to browse books from multiple genres and buy any hardback for $2 and any paperback for $1; there were also VHS tapes and DVDs at the sale.

Seth Yeakel, a sophomore student worker for Booth Library, said the best time to purchase books is at the beginning of the event around 9 a.m. because that is when the selection is the vastest.

Sales start dying down later in the day, so there is a bag sale near the end of the event to reduce books left over, he said.

“(From) 3 to 4 p.m., you can put as many books (as you can fit) in a bag, and it’s only one or two dollars,” he said.

There was also a table for free books, he said.

“Books that end up on the free table (and do not get sold) a lot of the time just go to recycling,” he said.

Noor-ul-haash Khamisani, a junior student worker from Booth Library, said this is her second book sale she has helped plan, and not much has changed.

“Everything is the same—even the placement of the books,” she said.

Khamisani said everything is organized by genre and placed in a way that is easy for buyers to navigate and browse through.

People look through books Wednesday during the annual Booth Library Fall Book Sale right by the clock tower.
Logan Raschke | The Daily Eastern News

Yeakel said all sales generated from the book sale go to improving Booth Library, and they are made possible by book donations from the Eastern and Charleston communities.

“We decide which (books go) into our (library) inventory … and most of the time books (will) end up here to help better the library,” he said.

Daniel Hagen, a part-time journalism instructor, said he always looks forward to Booth Library’s book sales.

“I’ve been to at least a dozen of these (book sales) before … probably since I was a student here, so it’s been more than a dozen,” he said.

Hagen said he recommends everyone to attend Booth Library’s book sales.

“There’s nothing like old books at a library sale because they’re inexpensive and you never know what treasures you’re going to find,” he said.

When he goes to the book sales, he said he searches for literature, fiction, philosophy and autobiography books, or anything else that may interest him.

Another reason for people to attend the book sales at Booth Library is to broaden their scope of knowledge by discovering new books and to brag about their finds on social media, he said.

“After I’m done (at the book sale), on Facebook I always post my haul, or my loot, and brag to everybody else about the books I have (that) they can’t get now because I’ve got them,” he said.

Melissa Nathan, a junior bio pre-med major, said she is in search of medical books for her and her friends and some psychology books to read for fun during this fall book sale.

“I was texting some of my other pre-med friends about books that I’ve seen that they’ll love,” she said.

Nathan said she has attended book sales at Booth Library for all three of her years as an Eastern student and has enjoyed every one of them.

“I’ve definitely found books in the past that I ended up getting (that) I still have or read sometimes,” she said.

Logan Raschke can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].