City Council to vote on grant application

Corryn Brock, Staff Reporter

The Charleston City Council will meet at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday to vote on applying for a Community Development Block Grant among other items.

The CDBG Program is “a flexible program that provides communities with resources to address a wide range of unique community development need,” according to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.

If the grant application and grant itself is approved, the money received from it will go toward rehabilitating homes on Charleston’s north side. Approximately ten homes will receive home repairs to keep them code compliant, according to City Planner Steve Pamperin. Possible repairs include replacing roofs, windows and furnaces.

Two resolutions will focus on the road closures for Charleston High School and Eastern’s respective homecoming parades.

If approved, CHS’s parade on Friday, Sept. 28 from 4:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. will result in the closure of parts of 6th Street, 7th Street, 15th Street, Smith Drive, Harrison Avenue and Monroe Avenue.

If approved, Eastern’s parade on Saturday, Oct. 20 from 3 a.m. to 12 p.m. will result in the closure of parts of 6th Street, 7th Street, 9th Street, Lincoln Avenue, Roosevelt Avenue, Grant Avenue, Monroe Avenue, Madison Avenue, Jackson Avenue, Polk Avenue and Division Street.

A proclamation from Mayor Brandon Combs will declare Oct. 7-13 Fire Prevention Week. The theme of the week will be “Look. Listen. Learn. Be aware-fire can happen anywhere,” according to the proclamation. The proclamation urges citizens to “be aware of their surroundings, look for available ways out in the event of a fire or other emergency, respond when the smoke alarm sounds by exiting the building immediately, and to support the many public safety activities and efforts of Charleston’s Fire and Emergency Services.”

Following the action items, time is reserved for members of the public to address the City Council. No action will be taken on matters not listed on the agenda, and the Council is not required to take any further action or to discuss the matter further.

The City Council asks that those who choose to address the Council speak into the microphone, limit the presentation to three minutes and avoid repetitive comments.

Corryn Brock can be reached at

581-2812 or at [email protected].