Opinions only matter from those who care

Corryn Brock, Staff Reporter

Mental health is something I believe everyone struggles with at one point or another in life. I know I’ve had my fair share of depression, anxiety, and random stress cries.

Occasionally I’ll hit my max of stress, just cry for ten minutes and I’m fine. Other times it can weigh on me and I can’t think about anything else.

Now I’m proud to say I’m happy about where I am in life at the moment. I work with people I love to be around, I love the work I’m doing, and I’m never bored. However sometimes even at your happiest things can come crashing down around you.

Recently a comment was made by someone I love dearly, but who I’ve struggled with constantly the entire time they have been in my life. Once I heard what was said I instantly went back to one of my lowest points.

I think when the people you expect to never say anything bad about you actually do, it is one of the worst feelings in the world. I’ve been on a cycle with this person and the same thing happens over and over again, but this time I will not let those comments hurt me as they have in the past.

I won’t put the blame on them for making me feel this way though, because I was the one who chose to let those words get to me and took those words to heart. I never should have let the words get to me as much as they did because no matter how important they are to you, they should never be so important that their opinion makes you think less of yourself.

Letting others opinions and views of you change how you view yourself is one of the worst things you can do to yourself. If you cannot love yourself for who you are when people say things to bring you down, it’s time for some work. I know that very well.

When I was crying and feeling terrible about myself, I thought to myself, “why am I doing this?” Then I realized I was putting my view of myself into the hands of people whose opinions of me quite frankly don’t matter. In the split instant I did that it took me from my peak to the lowest I’ve been in awhile, because I gave them and their words that power.

Once you stop and realize whose opinions matter and whose don’t in your life, you’re bound to be ten times happier. However the most important of all of them, is yours. 

When life is getting you down and you feel like you aren’t good enough, look around you. Find out who or what is making you think that way and figure out if it/they are a necessary part of your life or if you can let them go.

No matter what happens, no matter what happens around you or whatever you have going on in your life, you are worth it and should yourself at all costs, because at the end of the day the most important things in your life should be you and your well being.

Corryn Brock is a freshman journalism major. She can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].