Study abroad opportunities to be presented at fair Wednesday

Nick Marsili, Staff Reporter

Any students interested in studying abroad should check out the Eastern’s study abroad fair.

It will be held on Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the University Ballroom at the Martin Luther King Jr. Student Union.

Emily Tooy, the study abroad coordinator, said the fair is helpful for students wanting more information on studying abroad.

“Students interested in studying abroad are encouraged to go to the study abroad fair,” Tooy said.

Eastern offers numerous programs all over the world for students to study abroad, many of which will make an appearance at the fair.

“Eastern has hundreds of programs for students who want to study abroad,” Tooy said.

There are in fact 583 programs at 303 locations in 56 different countries, according to Eastern’s study abroad website.

There are faculty-led programs, exchange programs and independent programs for all different areas of study. 

Eleni Tzounakos is a graduate assistant majoring in counseling who is from Greece, and she is studying at Eastern this year.

She also works in the study abroad office.

“The experience is incredible,” she said of the study abroad program.

Before applying to study abroad, students should consider when they want to go and which program is best for them.

According to Eastern’s study abroad website, students can choose to study abroad during spring or winter break, fall or spring semester, during the summer or even all year.

Spring and winter break programs last one or two weeks. Summer programs last anywhere between two and six weeks, depending on the location.

A semester abroad will go through that scheduled semester, which is usually 14 to 16 weeks.

“Students interested should come in (to the study abroad office) so we can get them set up with an advisor,” said Tooy.

There are three types of programs for students: third party, faculty-led or partner.

A third-party program is run by the study abroad program, where they handle everything from housing to curriculum.

A faculty led program will usually take place during the spring break or the summer, and a group of Eastern students will be led by one or two Eastern faculty members.

A partner program, also known as direct enroll, is where students from Eastern can take courses at another university.

In preparing to study abroad, students must make sure to have a valid passport.

According to Eastern’s study abroad website, students in need of a passport can go to the Coles County Clerk’s office in the downtown Charleston square, Charleston post office or even apply online through the U.S. Postal Service.

Tooy said for more information students should check out Eastern’s study abroad website or go to the study abroad office.

Eastern’s study abroad office has many books and other resources for students interested in studying abroad.

For those applying to study abroad during the spring 2019 semester, applications are due Oct. 5. 

Nick Marsili can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].