You learn more about yourself when you fail

Jordan Boyer, Photo Editor

A few months ago, I covered a story on American Legion Auxiliary Girls State where Lt. Gov. Evelyn Sanguinetti and Illinois State Treasurer Michael Frerichs were special guests, and they were named honorary citizens for Girls State.

Girls State is a program that offers hands on experience for young women to educate them on politics and patriotism. It is held annually on campus during the summer.

Both Sanguinetti and Frerichs gave speeches and answered questions from the crowd before being named honorary citizens.

“Citizens” in Girls State are members who are eligible to vote and hold office. Both of the politicians received the titles honorary for their participation in the program.

When it was Frerichs’ turn to give a speech, he said one thing that stood out to me.

During his speech, he congratulated all of the members at Girls State who ran for political office and ended up losing. He said he lost many times in his life, and you learn more about yourself as person when you lose.

This applies to many people including myself. I would not be the person I am today if it was not for my failures in the past. Everything in my past is what brought me to where I am today, including my failures.

Both of the speeches from the politicians were great, but this portion from Frerichs’ speech really resonated with me. I am indifferent when it comes to Frerichs as a politician; I am only talking about this one section of his speech he delivered to the crowd.

It is rare for me to hear something so impactful during public speaking sessions.

What he said impacted me because it is a real and it applies to everyone.

Some of my failures have been the lowest points in my life, but I always rose back up. Just like Frerichs did during his life.

We all have been at these low points in our lives and we all can relate to this speech.

You either learn from your past failures and improve yourself, or you give up entirely. Improving upon one’s self is needed to grow as a strong human being.

Do not give up on something, especially if it is something you are passionate about. Giving up on your passion will eat away at you until you suffice it with something else entirely.

If you lose/fail at something, learn from your experience, improve yourself and move on. Do not give up on yourself. Learning from our failures is what makes us human.

Jordan Boyer is a senior history major. He can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].