See the miracles in the world

Jordan Boyer, Editor-in-Chief

I believe my generation has developed a nihilistic/cynical view on the world due to the many tragedies that plague our everyday lives.

It is a tragedy that the war on terror, drugs and mass shootings are a part of our daily lives.

Because of what has happened over the past few years, there is a norm among the people that no one is safe anywhere, at anytime.

Tragedy is everywhere. It is on the news, social media and through word of mouth among everyone.

A devastating number of people die in Chicago everyday. There seems to be a school shooting with a large number of casualties every few months.  American soldiers and innocent people are killed overseas frequently.

I can understand why people have lost hope in the world and do not see any positivity in it anymore.

However, a recent event has brought some light into this dark view of the world, that being the rescue in Thailand, where a children’s soccer team and their coach became trapped underwater in a cave.

This rescue, and the many attempts to help these people, was followed steadily on social media all over the world. There was constant dialogue, not just from the media, but also from the public.

People were unsure if any of them would make it out alive.

In total they were trapped for 18 days, and it became more and more frightening day after day for all of us following the event.

Miraculously, the boys and their coach were rescued, but at the cost of a former Thai Navy SEAL losing his life during the rescue.

According to The Guardian, news outlets from all around the world celebrated this miracle, and some have called it “The Great Escape.”

The rescue helps reassure us that hopefulness is still present in this world. Though a horrid event, it ended with a miraculous day for the families of the surviving children and coach. This and many other such events help shed light on this dark world.

The nihilistic view of the world from my generation will hopefully disappear over time. Tragic things happen every day, and it is easy to fall back into this cynical outlook on the world, but always remember the amazing things that happen every day globally. When we care for our fellow humans.

Jordan Boyer is a senior history major, he can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]

About the Writer
Jordan Boyer, Photo Editor

Hi I’m Jordan Boyer and I am the photo editor and former editor-in-chief at The Daily Eastern News. I am a senior history major and journalism minor. Photography and writing have been important in my life for many years, and I am honing my skills here at the DEN. I also write movie reviews and occasionally write columns.