People share what Independence Day means to them

Analicia Haynes

Liam Reed sits with his parents Wednesday evening before the Coles County fireworks show at the Coles County Memorial Airport.

Analicia Haynes, Managing Editor

People piled out of their cars that were parked in neat rows located in the field in front of the Coles County Memorial Airport Wednesday to claim a spot for the Coles County Fireworks Spectacular.

The runway slowly filled with families trying to catch up to their children who wanted to run all over the place, to teenagers decked out in patriotic red, white and blue attire, while standing with their friends laughing and looking around to try and see a familiar face.

Everyone set up chairs, blankets and umbrellas while they all waited to catch a glimpse of the loud and bright colors that fill the sky on the Fourth, every year.

The fireworks show has become an annual tradition in Coles County; at least that is what Chris Reed, formerly from Mattoon, said.

Chris Reed sat with his wife, Amanda Reed, and their son Liam Reed, facing away from the sun at first while Amanda put sunscreen on Liam.

Liam impatiently shuffled in his seat while his mom ran her hands across his face with sunscreen.

Chris Reed said his son was waiting to go play at one of the inflatables stationed just a short distance away.

“It’s about getting together with family,” Chris Reed said about the meaning of the holiday “(It’s also about) respecting the reason why we do it.”

He said coming to see the fireworks is one tradition that he would like to pass down to his son.

Gwen Warner and her friend Melody Butler, students at Mattoon High School, stood next to each other before the show and said they came just for fun.

Warner, wearing a Wonder Woman cape and a sticker of red, white and blue stars on her left cheek right underneath her eye, said her favorite part of the Fourth of July is the fireworks.

Butler, who was wearing a red, white and blue tutu agreed but also said the Fourth is about celebrating all the soldiers who fought for the United States.

Dave Adamson, who was originally from Orland Park and moved to “the country,” said the Fourth was also about remembering those who gave their lives.

Dave Adamson poses with his grandson Gavin Aprile and Adamson’s dog Colby before the Coles County fireworks show Wednesday evening at the Coles County Memorial Airport.
Analicia Haynes

Walking with his “shadow,” a chocolate lab he named Colby, Adamson argued with his grandson, Gavin Aprile, and told him that he was “too fragile” to play on the giant Q-Tip fighting inflatable.

“Grandpa, but if I get hurt it’ll be my fault,” Aprile said.

But Adamson said no, insisting that Aprile will only “break his ribs.”

“Show the lady your ribs,” Adamson laughed, leaning over his cane and holding his dog Colby’s leash in his other hand. “He’s so thin.”

When asked what Independence Day meant to him, Adamson paused and simply said, “freedom.”

Analicia Haynes can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].