BOT approves university staff pay raise, new college reorganization plan

Analicia Haynes, Managing Editor

Administrative and professional staff and non-negotiated civil service employees will see a one-percent pay raise next year after the Board of Trustees approved it during its Friday meeting.

The Board also approved the reorganization plan that includes the creation of a College of Health and Human Services and a College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

Pay Raise

Eastern President David Glassman said it has been almost five years since university staff have seen a pay raise.

During the meeting, Glassman said the decision for a pay increase comes as a result of the university’s fiscal management from the past year and because of knowing what the state budget is for FY19.

The pay increase affects those who have been employed prior to March 1 of this year or have not had any adjustment in salary since March 1, Glassman said.

Other employee salary adjustments are done negotiated contractual agreements or a state level of prevailing wage.

The pay raise is already incorporated in the developed budget proposal for FY19 that was also approved by the Board.

It will take effect July 1.

“I wish it was more,” Glassman said. “But, I’m pleased… to thank them and recognize them for the hard work that they’ve done.”

Reorganization Plan

The new restructure plan will unravel on July 1.

The last time Eastern saw a college restructure plan was in 1993, nearly 25 years ago.

The plan then introduced the College of Arts and Humanities as well as the Lumpkin College of Business and eliminated the former College of Liberal Arts and Sciences that was on campus prior to 1993.

The new plan that Eastern’s Provost Jay Gatrell unveiled in early April, reintroduces a College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, which will consist of combining the current College of Arts and Humanities and the College of Sciences.

A College of Health and Human Services will also be created.

Other changes expected from the plan include:

• Renaming the Lumpkin College of Business and Applied Sciences to Lumpkin College of Business and Technology (LCBT).
  • Renaming the College of Education and Professional Studies the College of Education (COE).
  • Renaming the Center for Academic Services & Assessment the Academic Success Center. According to the Board’s agenda, this renaming is part of the centralization of student success initiatives.
  • Expanding the scope of the Office of Faculty Development and renaming it the Faculty Development and Innovation Center.
  • Eliminating the Center for Academic Technology Services (CATS) and reassigning the staff to ITS, Web Services and the Faculty Development and Innovation Center. According to the agenda, the reassignments are based on area of expertise.
  • Creating a School of the Arts to be housed in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences comprised of the independent Music, Theater and Art & Design departments.
  • Creating a School of Communication & Journalism, which is made up of the journalism department and communication studies department.
  • Renaming the School of Continuing Education the School of Extended Learning, which will be housed in the College of Education.
  • Dissolving the School of Family and Consumer Sciences and instead create a new Department of Human Services and Community Leadership. This will be made up of current broad area family consumer science degrees, family studies, aging studies and related teacher education programs, according to the agenda, and will be housed in the College of Health and Human Services. There will also be programs in Hospitality and Nutrition and Dietetics that will be housed in the Lumpkin College and the College of Health & Human Services. Also, the Fashion Merchandising and Design degree program will be housed in the Department of Art and Design.

Gatrell said no one will be laid off as the university transitions into the new reorganization, however individuals may receive different titles.

When the plan was first introduced, Gatrell called the plan “budget neutral.”

Analicia Haynes can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].

About the Writer
Analicia Haynes, Editor-in-Chief

Hello!

My name is Analicia Carmen Haynes and I’m the Editor-in-Chief of this spectacular newspaper. I am a senior journalism major (praying to God...