Grace Summers named to the Google Cloud Academic All-America second team

Staff Report

Grace Summers, a senior women’s tennis player, was named to the Google Cloud Academic All-America second team.

According to a press release, the College Sports Information Directors of America selected her and she is one of the top women’s tennis players in the university’s history.

She was named a second team All-Ohio Valley Conference selection as a senior after earning second team honors as a junior and first team honors as a sophomore, the press release read.

She completed her four-year career as the leader in career singles wins with 57 and third in career doubles wins with 51.

She earned a 4.0 grade point average in kinesiology and sports studies, was an OVC Academic Medal of Honor winner and earned the EIU Presidential Academic Award for graduating with a 3.75 GPA.

She is the 44th Academic All-American at Eastern and the first from the women’s tennis program, according to the press release.

Haley Mitchell from softball and Steve Fishman from men’s swimming (At-Large) were two other student-athletes who earned All-District honors.

The At-Large All-America team includes student-athletes from sports such as fencing, golf, gymnastics, ice hockey, tennis and water polo for men and women as well as beach volleyball, bowling, field hockey and rowing for women.

The News staff can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].