Candidate for interim dean talks about potential strategy during interview session

Mary Ellen Greenburg

Anita Shelton, the current interim dean for the College of Arts and Humanities, speaks Thursday afternoon in the 7th Street Underground of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union. Shelton applied for the new interim dean position for the proposed College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Shelton presented her plan for the new position and answered questions regarding her intentions.

Mary Ellen Greenburg, Staff Photographer

Faculty and staff interviewed Anita Shelton for the interim dean position for the proposed College of Liberal Arts and Sciences Thursday at the 7th Street Underground of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

Shelton, the current interim dean for the College of Arts and Humanities, is the only person who applied for the position at this time and was interviewed Wednesday and Thursday.

Shelton explained what she would do if she received the position, such as her strategy to advocate for the proposed college.

She said her strategy is to align with Eastern Provost Jay Gatrell and arrange regular meetings to bring forth issues that faculty members might have.

Shelton also said she wants to get the proper backgrounds for professors in the areas that they are teaching, and not have professors in one subject teaching about a subject out of their field in the same department.

Shelton said that her interest in the open position comes from her current position.

She said that she likes talking to people that have been at other universities recently that have the experience doing different things that Eastern does not do. She said they can provide that information to help improve the university.

Shelton said she understands the need to collaborate with other people, and the need for transparency and clear guidelines that need to be followed.

Open sessions for the new interim dean position will continue until June 1.

Mary Ellen Greenburg can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].