Charleston City Council to vote on additional TIF funds for The Body Club

Analicia Haynes, Managing Editor

The Charleston City Council will vote on an additional $4,512 in tax increment financing funds to go to the owners of The Body Club, located at 618 Jefferson Ave. at its 6:30 p.m. meeting Tuesday at City Hall.

The council will also vote on approving a time extension for the owners of The Body Shop and the building located at 611-613 Monroe Ave., which was formerly known as Fili’s Station, to finish the necessary work detailed in the funding agreement.

In October 2017, the owners of The Body Club were granted $5,488 in TIF funds and given an April 30 deadline to complete the necessary work underlined under the funding agreement.

However, Charleston City Planner Steve Pamperin said when construction started at The Body Club, it was discovered that more work was needed in order to finish the job and therefore the owners are asking for the additional $4, 512 and a deadline extension to have the work completed by April 30, 2019.

If it is approved, the grant will increase to $10,000.

According to “Exhibit B” for the proposal attached to the council’s agenda (find the link to “Exhibit B” here>>>https://goo.gl/8ZcXLm), the initial funding was supposed to cover building improvements such as the removal and installation of five new window lintels in front of the building, and will cover the labor and materials for those improvements.

The total cost for the project at The Body Club is $20,431 and the owners agreed to pay half of the costs.

The owners of the first building located at 611-613 Monroe Ave., formerly known as Fili’s Station, received $6,705 in TIF funding in February 2018 and asked for a deadline extension to finish the necessary work.

Pamperin said if approved, the new deadline will be December 31, 2018.

Click here for a link to the meeting’s agenda>>> https://goo.gl/x6ggNa

Analicia Haynes can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].

About the Writer
Analicia Haynes, Editor-in-Chief
Hello! My name is Analicia Carmen Haynes and I’m the Editor-in-Chief of this spectacular newspaper. I am a senior journalism major (praying to God that I graduate in May of 2019 because I seriously can’t afford this anymore) and I have come a long way since I started as a young, naïve and gullible freshman....