There’s nothing wrong with a non-traditional college experience

Shirley Davis, Columnist

I am a non-traditional student, which means I’m much older than the average student at Eastern Illinois University. I have had to go the long route to earning my college degree, and have learned some very important lessons along the way.

I began my adventure in college much like most of you. At 18, I entered my first college thinking it was necessary to my success in life to finish my higher education in what is widely accepted to be the normal time limit of four to six years.

However, what I had not counted on was the occurrence of a devastating illness that held me back for many years. I attempted, when I was feeling well enough, to attend classes but was constantly having to drop them or would finish with grades much lower than my ability. Finally, in 2013 after much hard work and treatment, it was possible not only to successfully return to school but also to graduate two years later.

I have formed a dream in my mind during this lifelong adventure. I wish to become a psychologist and work for NASA, helping to examine the profiles of the astronauts who would one day go to Mars. Now that I am approaching 60, this may seem like a goal I cannot reach, but that won’t stop me from trying my best to reach it. After all, I managed to return to college and, after 37 years, graduate so why should a little age stop me?

To my fellow students at EIU, I have a two-fold message.

One, don’t be afraid to do what you must to take care of your health. I have spoken to many students who have entered college only to be overwhelmed by the responsibilities and pressures of academic life. They feel afraid, stressed out and sometimes so depressed they wish to end their lives. My advice to them has been to step back and reassess their emotional abilities. Many students believe that after finishing high school they are expected to attend college, but some find they are not emotionally mature enough to face life on their own on a college campus. There is no shame in admitting this to yourself. You are not a failure if you take care of your needs first and then return to school. Failure only happens when you don’t recognize what you need and take care of yourself.

Two, no matter what life throws at you, it is never too late to follow your dreams. Don’t cheapen your dreams by following the course of least resistance; rather ,aim high. Don’t listen to those who say you cannot ever reach your goals in life. Rather, listen to that voice inside of you and claim your dreams when you can.

No matter what your lot in life, how much money you have or don’t have, or any other circumstance, never forget it’s never too late to reach for your dreams. I encourage you to always try to remember this quote from Les Brown, “Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss it, you will land among the stars.”

Shirley Davis is a psychology major. She can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].