Women’s golf finishes tournament in 8th place

JJ Bullock, Assistant Sports Editor

The Eastern women’s golf season ended with an eighth-place finish at the OVC championships, not exactly a finish the team was hoping for, but for seniors like Anne Bahr and Hannah Magda, it will be the last meet they will compete in as Panthers. 

Bahr shot an 82 in her final round, 249 over the course of the tournament, and Magda shot a 90, 267 total. 

Bahr said her last round for Eastern felt surreal. 

“When I finished it was hard to believe I was done,” Bahr said. “You work so hard for so long and it’s all over in what feels like the blink of an eye. As a team, we’re all happy to be done I think. That course was not easy.”

The host course of the tournament was Robert Trent Jones at the Shoals in Muscle Shoals, AL. A course that pestered not just the Panthers, but every other team throughout the tournament. 

No golfer finished at par or below in the tournament and the winning team, Murray State came in with a team score of +34 par. 

Bahr felt the team played well overall in the tournament, given the challenges the course presented. 

“The course was tough on us, very hilly, with large green,” Bahr said. “There were a few blind shots as well, which are never fun.”

Eastern did not have much time to practice outside of meets heading into the OVC championships as the weather restricted them. The lack of practice combined with the tough course did not make a great combination, Bahr said.

“Our game wasn’t where it normally would be at this time of year, especially for me,” Bahr said. “I think we only got outside 10 days this spring for practice and only two of those were range days. Without that adequate time to prepare, it makes it hard to perform at your highest level, especially on a placement course like this.”

Junior Daphne Chang led Eastern in the tournament, finishing in 32nd place with a score of 244 in the tournament. 

Chang shot +7 par on the final day and had an eagle on hole No. 4. 

Junior Katlyn Hasprey rebounded nicely in the third round. After shooting a 100 in round one and a 96 in round two, Hasprey finished the tournament shooting an 88. 

Freshman McKenzie O’Brien shot a 92 on day three, with two triple bogeys. 

“Just the camaraderie on our team is fun. We had a great group of this year and I’ve loved being with them for every tournament,” Bahr said.

Jacksonville State’s Valentina Giraldo won the tournament with a score of 218, beating Murray State’s Lucila Puente Rodriguez by and Moa Folke, also from Murray State, by three strokes. 

JJ Bullock can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]