‘Brighton Beach Memoirs’ to highlight meaning of family

Makayla Digan, Contributing Writer

Themes of familial and other relationships will be presented through the play “Brighton Beach Memoirs,” set to open at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday in the Doudna Fine Arts Center.

“Brighton Beach Memoirs” is a story that follows a 15-year-old boy named Eugene as he grows up in 1937 Brooklyn. Eugene learns about family, girls, relationships and the impending war. Throughout the play, he learns many things about life and the need for family by interacting with his Polish-Jewish relatives.

AJ Lingad, a sophomore theatre arts major who plays Eugene, said his character is in an interesting position, as he is also the narrator.

“I think like most teenagers going through puberty, Eugene is very curious and has hopes and dreams in life,” Lingad said.

Lingad does not have a particular part of the production process that he considers his favorite. Instead, he said he is just grateful to have the opportunity to grow as an actor after every rehearsal.

“If I had to pick something, though, I think going through tech week is one of the most exciting times of any production,” he said. “It’s when all the elements of the show start coming together to make one cohesive piece, and the story we are portraying becomes so much more real.”

Liz Phillips, a senior theatre arts major who plays Eugene’s mom, said she has been friends with the cast for years.

“We only got closer (through) this experience,” she said.

Kevin Doolen, the play’s director and department chair for theatre arts, said he directed and coached the actors to play characters who are a part of a multi-dimensional family who face daily struggles while maintaining their humor and love.

“My focus as a director is always on creating truth on the stage, complexity of character relationships and characters that serve the play’s story,” Doolen said.

Connor Lewis, a senior theatre arts major playing Stanley, Eugene’s eldest brother, said he wants the audience to realize though families have their ups and downs, nothing has to tear them apart.

“When push comes to shove, we all come together in the end,” he said.

Tickets can be bought at the Doudna Box Office for $13 general admission, $11 for senior citizens and $5 for students. They can also be purchased online at www.eiu.edu/doudna/.

Makayla Digan can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].