Rebecca Cash named student body president, other executive positions announced

Analicia Haynes, Managing Editor

Rebecca Cash will be the student body president and Zach Cohen will serve as the executive vice president for the 2018-2019 school year.

Tyler Stoklosa, a current senator, will be next year’s student vice president of student affairs. Carson Gordon, another current senator, will be next year’s student vice president of academic affairs.

All candidates ran unopposed.

The official election results were announced at the Student Senate meeting Wednesday night.

“I’m excited, but I’m extremely nervous,” Cash said. “It’s a big deal and I have a lot of weight on my shoulders.”

Cash said she already has plans in store for next semester, including meeting with athletic director Tom Michael to figure out how student government can help encourage student participation at sports games.

“I’m already making moves,” Cash said.

Senate members also passed emergency legislation approving $500 for a week of activities during finals.

The emergency legislation, which was authored by Stoklosa, allocated $500 to the student academic affairs committee to purchase items for its finals week list of activities.

There are four events that will span across the week of April 30 to May 3.  

The first event will be from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday, April 30 on the northeast side of Coleman Hall.  Student senators will hand out fun-size candy bars and granola bars with “pluggers,” sheets of paper that talk about student government and the week’s events, as well as de-stressing tips to help students get through their finals.  

The cost for that event is $42.26, which includes the price for the candy ($14.97 for a bag of 175 pieces) and granola bars ($24.90 for five boxes).

Tuesday, May 1 senators will hand out slices of Domino’s pizza and bread sticks from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. in Booth library.

Stoklosa said he plans on ordering 10 pizzas from Dominos, which will cost $6.50 each and two orders of bread sticks for $6 each for a total of $77.

On Wednesday May 2, Stoklosa said his committee is partnering with the University Board to host a relaxation-themed event that will incorporate different stations with different activities that students can participate in, such as yoga and meditation.

Stoklosa said since the UB organized the entire event, the student government will front the funds to pay for it.

“We might as well pay to make up for the work that we didn’t do,” he said.

The relaxation stations will be from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. in the University Ballroom of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

The cost for that event is $282, which covers the pay for the yoga instructor, the snacks from Panther Catering and the contact solution and glue to make slime that students can play with at one of the stations.

On Thursday May 3, Stoklosa said he and other student senators will hand out Krispy Kreme donuts, coffee or hot chocolate from noon to 3 p.m. in the Union’s Bridge Lounge.

Stoklosa said student government will pay for three gallons of coffee ($28.50) and hot chocolate (28.05) and five-dozen donuts (39.70). Panther Catering will provide the food from the event and the total cost for the items will be about $97.25.

Stoklosa said the activities during finals week will serve as a way to inform students about the things student government does as well as give them free food.

Executive Vice President Derek Pierce said though the activities for the week will be a “little pricey” student government has the funds to pay for them.

Student Body President Luke Young agreed with Pierce.

He said the only thing left to do is for senate members to invite as many people as possible.

The Student Senate will hold its speaker elections to determine a new speaker of the senate at its April 18 meeting.

Analicia Haynes can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].