Art festival to ‘celebrate’ return after 2 years

Paige Gemein, Contributing Writer

As another school year comes to an end, Dan Crews, interim director of programming, publicity, and promotions for the Doudna Fine Arts Center, thinks it is only right to celebrate with an “end of the school year party.”

It has been 40 years since the festival began.  After being canceled for the past two years in a row because of low staffing levels as a result of the budget impasse, Crews said there is “great excitement from the community and across campus for the return of the festival.”

Celebration is set for  April 20, 21 and 22 on Seventh Street in the middle of the Doudna and Buzzard Hall.

There will be many different events  including an array of music, which will include jazz, blues and rock and a variety of art made by local artists who will be selling their work.

As in previous years, the lineup of artists will be selling hand-crafted art ranging from stonework, to jewelry to paintings. There will also be an art station for children as well.

After the festival began in 1977, it become a part of the culture at Eastern and a tradition for closing out the spring semester, Crews said.

In previous years, before it was canceled, Celebration attracted more than a quarter of a million visitors to campus.

“A lot of people were upset when they found out the festival was canceled for the second year in a row, but hearing it is being brought back this year has had a lot of positive feedback,” Crews said.

Plans for Celebration are underway and the organizing team is expecting a big turnout for the revival this year, he added.

Paige Gemein can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]