Students share thoughts on going to the Student Recreation Center versus off-campus gyms

Karlye Fuller, Contributing Writer

Based on personal preferences, students take their workout routine to the Student Recreation center or off-campus gyms.

Morgan Valley, a junior marketing major, pays for an off-campus gym membership at Planet Fitness in Mattoon.She said she likes that there are not as many people.

“Also, their equipment is way nicer and cleaner,” Valley said.

Freshman nursing major Bethany Trock said she does not mind paying for a $20 monthly membership at Planet Fitness because it comes with 24-hour access and tanning beds, unlike the Rec Center.

Emily Ingala, a junior family and consumer sciences major, said paying the extra monthly fee for a Planet Fitness Black Card is worth it.

“I like Planet Fitness because I can tan, work out and get massages. Also, they have more equipment, the gym is cleaner, the bathrooms are bigger, and they have showers,” Ingala said.

A membership at the Recreation Center is included in student fees.

Although some students do not mind paying the extra money, some students, like freshman undecided major Delani Zoller, would rather exercise on campus at the Student Recreation Center. 

“I live on campus so I don’t have to spend money on gas to get there,” Zoller said.

Malcom Gill, a sophomore communication studies major, prefers going to the Student Recreation Center almost every day to work out.

“I like working out there because I like the atmosphere,” Gill said. “I almost always see a friend in the gym and it makes the experience of going more enjoyable. I don’t have to pay an extra monthly fee to use it.”

Gill said more Eastern students should take advantage of their membership at the Student Recreation Center because it is a great place to exercise and meet others who are enthusiastic about health and fitness.

Samuel Tompkins, a junior applied engineering and technology major, goes to the center every day to work out or play basketball with his friends.

“I like going there because it’s not too far from any of my classes, it has high quality basketball courts and it has a really nice weight room,” Tompkins said.

“I also like that it opens early every day so I can get a workout in before my classes.”

Karlye Fuller can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].