Racist slur written on Doudna’s stairwell wall

Staff Report

Editor’s Note: The link leads to a picture of the slur and contains offensive language.

A racist slur was written on the side of the Doudna Fine Arts Center’s stairwell before being taken down Thursday morning.

In a screenshot taken by a student of a Snapchat documenting the scene, the N-word is written in big, pink, chalky letters on the stairwell.

The word itself is circled in red, with the caption “So I’m walking right…and then all I see is this….still happening in 2018….get it together EIU.”

The student posted the screenshot to Twitter and tagged @eiu.

In response, Eastern’s Twitter page said the slur was removed, but that it is “disgusted” that it was ever there in the first place.

“An investigation (into the incident) was started when the request was initially reported,” the university tweeted.

In an email sent to department chairs in the College of Arts and Humanities that afternoon, interim dean Anita Shelton addressed the issue.

“As dean of the College of Arts and Humanities, I want to assure everyone that this hateful act does not in any way represent our college and we denounce it,” she wrote in the email. “The Doudna was designed and built to encourage creativity and self-expression. The chalkboard walls are part of this. But self-expression cannot include hateful attacks on others.”

Shelton wrote that the college does not tolerate instances like this, and will “be keeping a close eye on all parts of the building” in response.

The News desk can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].