‘My Black is Beautiful’ Poetry Slam to be held

Andrew Paisley, Campus Reporter

With work from students and a professional, the University Board will commemorate African-American Heritage Month with a poetry slam Wednesday at the 7th Street Underground.

The UB has invited poet Natasha “T” Miller to read her poetry at the slam.

Students will also be able to share their own poetry expressing how they appreciate and accept their race and who they are.

UB chair Nia Douglas said the board wants to allow students to speak out.

“A lot of students are very talented and have something to say,” Douglas said. “We want to give them an opportunity to do that, as well as allow everyone the opportunity to see someone who has perfected their craft and be able to speak to them personally.”

Douglas said it will be good for students to hear each other’s and Miller’s points of view.

“Hopefully, students will be able to think about themselves, where they came from, their race and the issues they deal with, as well as how they feel,” Douglas said.

Douglas said Miller is an African-American, openly lesbian woman from Detroit, Michigan who not only stands up for African-American rights, but is also a dedicated LGBTQA+ activist.

Miller is also a three-time Women of the World Poetry Slam finalist. She has published two books, “Dreams of a Beginner” and “Coming Out of Nowhere,” a social networking memoir about religion, cyberbullying and homosexuality.

Tony Talley, public relations coordinator for the UB, said the board thought Miller is the perfect candidate to speak at the poetry slam.

“Given her background, I would say she definitely will turn out to be a good person for students to hear and look up to,” Talley said. “She has a history of having really good work, and we are excited to see her perform.”

Douglas said although this will be a great learning experience for students, it is also about entertainment.

“We want to see everyone have a great time and hopefully enjoy all the poetry that is recited at the event,” Douglas said. “We will also be serving food, and there will be giveaway T-shirts as well for students to take home.”

Andrew Paisley can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].