Softball team returning many key players for 2018 season

JJ Bullock, Assistant Sports Editor

The Eastern softball team was selected to finish fourth in the OVC preseason poll, but expectations for this team are much higher from the inside.

The ranking is lower than what senior pitcher Jessica Wireman expected, but she said it does not bother her or anyone else on the team.

“At the end of the day none of those people that voted have been at our practices to see how good we really are and how well we really mesh,” Wireman said. “The preseason polls are irrelevant to me, and I think a lot of other people can say the same thing.”

The biggest reason for the heightened level of expectations in the return of pitchers Michelle Rogers and Wireman for their senior seasons.

Wireman struck out 171 batters last year and finished with a 2.55 ERA in 167.1 innings and Rogers pitched to a 2.70 ERA appearing in 121.2 innings.

Wireman is hoping that her senior season will be her best season so far as a Panther and said she thinks her and Rogers are the best pitching duo in the OVC.

“The thing we have over other duos is our experience. Unlike most pitchers in college, Michelle and I got thrown into the circle as the number one and two starters our freshmen year,” Wireman said. “Since then we’ve learned these past three season how to complement each other in our pitching and its one of the keys to our team’s success.”

The 288-innings pitched between the duo combined for 88 percent of the workload by Eastern pitchers last season.

After losing 2017 home run leader Amber Toenyes to graduation, the Panthers welcome the addition of power-hitting junior college transfer Breya Cooper to the lineup.

Last season for Rend Lake community college, Cooper hit .404 with 19 homeruns, 78 RBIs and an .824 slugging percentage, making the all-GRAC team.

Wireman said she is excited for every new addition to the team, but particularly cited the additions of freshmen Morgan LaMore and Meg Burton.

“I think (LaMore and Burton) are extremely talented for their age and on top of that, they are willing to listen and learn to make us a better program,” Wireman said. “I think that those two are exactly what EIU softball needed to bring home a ring this year.”

The Panthers will boast one of the OVC’s stronger outfields as all three of its starters last season will return.

Junior outfielder Kayla Bear was named one of USA Softball’s 50 players to watch nationwide for the upcoming season. Last year she hit .299 and led the team with 39 runs scored and 30 stolen bases, the third-most in a season in program history.

Outfielder Mia Davis also returns, as she led the team with a .437 on-base percentage last year and 15 walks.

The team’s 2017 leader in batting average will also be back, senior Taylor Monahan, who hit .378 last season, will round out the outfield for Eastern.

All across the diamond, the Panthers will return impact player from last season. Sophomore catcher Haley Mitchell, who led the team with 33 RBIs last year, is back, junior Maria Devito, who had a .356 on-base percentage, is also returning along with junior infielder Mady Poulter.

The Panthers open up their season Feb. 9 against Iowa at the Mardi Gras Classic in Lafayette, La.

Conference play for Eastern begins on March 24 against Belmont.

JJ Bullock can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]