Don’t be tempted to skip classes

Carole Hodorowicz, Opinions Editor

As the snow continues to fall and blanket every inch of campus, it is almost impossible to resist the urge to pull our own blankets over our heads and hibernate until the bitterness of winter evolves into the inviting warmth of spring.

It is no secret: hitting snooze is much easier than pulling yourself out of bed, bundling up and trudging through the snow and against the cold winds to hit the books.

Combating the temptation to skip class, especially during the winter, is easier said than done. I am guilty of playing hooky a few times by turning off my alarms or completely ignoring the existence of time so that I can stay in bed.

Skipping a class starts out harmless. But as the absent days pile up, grades plummet and any drive or motivation to succeed slowly starts to diminish.

Sometimes life gets in the way. Our mental health and personal issues should always be our first priority.

However, simply being lazy or prioritizing a Netflix binge of the newest season of your favorite TV series is not a valid reason to push focusing on school to second place.

At the end of the day, it is important to realize that going to college is a privilege that not everyone has in their lives.

By skipping class and not taking the opportunities that come with higher education seriously, this privilege is abused and ultimately wasted.

We need to remind ourselves how lucky we are to be attending a university like Eastern, where we have the resources to build our own paths that fit our individual goals.

Although it is hard to wake up for an 8 a.m. or pay attention during a lecture on a Friday, going to class is worth it. Trying hard to excel in your classes is worth it. Getting an education is worth it.

No degree is worthless. Do not let the tempting voice in the back of your head begging you to skip class win over you too often. Before you know it, you will be laying in a grave you have dug yourself with no company except for the reminder of opportunities you missed out on and privilege you abused.

Carole Hodorowicz is a junior journalism major. She can be reached at 581-2812 orĀ [email protected].