Transfer students share experiences

Travis Buckwalter, Contributing Writer

Transfer students have their own unique experiences when coming to Eastern.

Christyna De Lude, a sophomore psychology major, also changed her major from pre-medicine before coming to Eastern.

“It didn’t seem like I was where I wanted to be,” De Lude said.

Cory Bradford, a junior psychology major, was a chemical engineering major until his last semester at Kishwaukee College in Malta, Ill.

“It kind of came down to the wire on what school to go to,” Bradford said.

Tim Bradford, a junior history major, said one challenge that transfer students can often face is making friends at the beginning of the semester.

“The biggest challenge for me was probably the social aspect,” Bradford said. “I think it’s harder making friends because the friendships are already made.”

Alyssa Schweigert, a junior early education major, said this may be because students who do not transfer have had longer to get to know each other.

“It’s harder being a transfer student because people have already had their groups made up,” she said.

Eastern is Bradford’s third school.

“Besides (the social aspect), I don’t see to many problems in transferring,” Bradford said. “I’m used to it by now.”

Schweigert said she had Eastern picked out since her junior year of high school.

“The advisers were more caring and the students were very nice,” Schweigert said.

She said she enjoys Eastern for more than just academics because of the amount of activities in Charleston.

“There are so many organizations and just more to do here,” Schweigert said.

Jeff Okrasinski, a senior applied engineering and technology major, said he had no problem getting involved on campus.

“Before my first semester, I met with the radio staff,” Okrasinski said. “The staff seemed really receptive.”

De Lude said since coming to Eastern she has been involved in Best Buddies, Pure Health Educators and works at Java Beanery and Bakery in the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union. She said she is looking to get into other organizations.

De Lude heard about Eastern from her cousin. She said she has been happy and successful ever since she transferred from Oklahoma Christian University.

“I just wasn’t at the right place for me,” De Lude said.

She said ever since she came Eastern, things have seemed to be going her way.

Okrasinski also said the move made things easier for him and his family.

Since transferring because of his wife’s job, Okrasinski said he feels that he and his family have found a new home in Charleston.

Travis Buckwalter can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].