Student Senate sets parameters

Samuel Nusbaum, Journalist

The Student Senate went over proposed changes to the senate’s election commission and discussed the updated Registered Student Organization approval process during their meeting Wednesday night.

Student Body President Luke Young explained to the senate the proposed revisions.

Senators cannot campaign in mailboxes Young said. He explained the reasoning behind this was there are things to be considered regarding what is legal according to the university and what applies to state and federal law.

Senators cannot campaign on residence hall floors or housing spaces owned by the university.

“We do not like when politicians come door to door with us, so we do not want to do the same thing to them,” Young said.

Young also said senators on the campaign trail cannot run smear campaigns, which is a style of campaigning which degrades their opponent. Young said this has not happened in some time, but he wants it in writing anyway.

Senators can endorse other senators outside the office space, which includes the chamber where the senate meets and the Student Activities Center. Senators can campaign at Residence Hall Association meetings, but the RHA holds the right to say senators cannot campaign there. They must either allow all candidates the opportunity to campaign or none of them can, this is to give all senators a chance.

Graduate advisors in the Student Life Office are not allowed to endorse student senate candidates but graduate advisors in other departments across campus may endorse senators. Professors are allowed to endorse candidates, but departments and colleges are not.

Other proposed changes include social media pages being changed 48 hours after the campaigning ends and all posters and table pluggers must be taken down in that time frame as well.

Zach Cohen, Student Vice President of Student Affairs told the senate about the RSO Approval process which has been updated and will be tested.

Cohen said the new process will allow the Student Affairs Committee to be more involved. The RSO under the new rules will meet with the Student Affairs Committee to go over the RSO’s constitution and make sure it is up to the standards of the committee.

When it is brought up to the senate to vote on, they can ask questions to the Student Affairs Committee, who at this point will be able to answer everything.

Under the new rules, the president of the organization will receive updates on how far along the group is to become an official student organization.

“This will make us all more accountable to keeping it going at a good speed,” Cohen said.

Herpetology Club, a club about the study of reptiles and amphibians, will be the guinea pig for this new approach.

Cohen said he will go over with the president of this club the basics of being an RSO including such things as how to reserve a room.

The senate introduced a bill to appropriate $128.05 towards events during Senior Week. It takes place from Nov. 30 and goes until Dec. 8 and includes events such as making a stress ball, a video game night, a study night and handing out food to students as they head to class. The bill was introduced at their meeting tonight and will be voted on during their next meeting on Nov 29.