Focus on yourself, be ready for change

Ben Leman, Copy Editor

Recently I heard the song “Gypsy” by Stevie Nicks while I was working the copy desk for The Daily Eastern News.  I find it really interesting how songs can trigger memories and feelings to individual people.  One song could have hundreds of different meanings to different people across the world.

The song “Gypsy,” to me, is one of those “life” songs.  A “life song” is a type of song that makes you reflect on your past and brings you to consider what your current situation in life is.

For me, these types of songs help me reflect on things I have done in the past that have gotten me to where I am today.  My experiences in the Army before college, for example, have shaped me to take pride in myself and push others to do their best.

Some songs also have me reflect on instances in life that I wish I could have changed as well. Fast forward to the present, I feel ROTC has furthered my self in being a better person and to take initiative to lead others.  With that, life is continuing to shape me as a person. In this moment now, though, I am happy.

However, as the semester comes further to a head and I begin the process of commissioning into the Army, the true priorities in my life are starting to take shape.  My current major is journalism but at this point, ROTC tends to take up about 90 percent of my life.

Now, this is not necessarily a bad thing.  The things you want most in life are not easy to achieve, so putting in work is a necessity.  But I have started to realize my heart is in the Army, not journalism.  I feel I do best in the Army and I can put my love of writing and news telling to the Army rather than civilian journalism.

So if you are just finishing up your first semester of college or it is the beginning of the end of senior year, remember this: life is not black and white.  You will meet indecision and change head-on in life and that is OK.  Most people don’t know what they want to do for the rest of their lives, especially from 18 to 22 years old.

I believe society puts too much pressure on people to find their niche in life.  I say explore new avenues, try new things.  If you suddenly realize you don’t want to major in geography but instead you want to try theatre, then that is perfectly normal.  Yes, it may take more time, more work, more late-night studying but in the end it is worth it.  A job is a job but a career is something more, something you love doing.

Take time for yourself in figuring out who you want to be and what you want to do in life.

I have grown a lot and learned about myself because I decided to try new things, even when things were scary at times.  It is all about realizing that life holds many doors; you just have to open them.

Ben Leman is a junior journalism major. He can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].