About emotional support animals

Abbey Lesko-Youngberg, Guest Columnist

Recently, The Daily Eastern News published an article called “What it is like having an emotional support cat” in the Oct. 1, 2017 edition.  Many questions have been raised regarding this article, and the following information is in response to help clarify any confusion that it may have caused.

On campuses across the United States there has been a rise in Emotional Support Animals (ESA.)  These animals should not be confused with service animals.  Service animals, which may only be a dog or mini horse, are specifically trained to perform a task that supports an individual with a disability.  Service animals are protected by the Americans with Disabilities Act and may go anywhere on campus, with exceptions to where there is a risk of contamination in places such as science labs or kitchens.

An ESA is less specific regarding the type of animal and does not require training.  The sole purpose of an ESA is to decrease symptoms of a documented mental health condition diagnosed by a licensed mental health professional. An ESA is only allowed within an individual’s residence and is protected by the fair Housing Act and NOT the Americans with Disabilities Act.

In order to qualify for an ESA to reside in a campus residence, the handler must meet specific criteria that qualifies them to be registered with the Office of Student Disability Services.  A psychological need through a documented diagnosis with a licensed mental health professional such as a therapist, psychologist or psychiatrist is required.  Additionally, there must be proof provided from the professional that this accommodation is truly warranted and that other accommodations would not suffice.  Since this is an absolute necessity for those utilizing this accommodation, it is taken very seriously to protect those needing it.

Most pet owners would agree that it is easy to say that they feel better when their pet is around, but in this situation many are failing to recognize that an ESA is NOT a pet.  The ESA allows the individual to function in day-to-day activities that they otherwise would not be able to do, which allows them to equally access learning in the academic milieu.  If you witness someone with an ESA in one of the residence halls on campus, please take a moment to realize that these individuals generally do not go out and just choose any random animal and claim it as an ESA.  These individuals have an established relationship with not only the animal, but also are under the care of a licensed professional helping to treat their mental health condition.

Abbey Lesko-Youngberg M.S., M.A.Ed., is the Assistant Director-Office of Student Disability Services.  She can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].