Annual night of HOPE fundraiser to kick off Friday

AJ Fournier, Campus Reporter

People can listen to music and participate in a silent auction to help support Housing, Outreach, Prevention and Education of East Central Illinois at “Night of Hope.”

The annual fundraiser is set for 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Friday at the Jackson Avenue Coffee shop.

Angie Hunt, director of housing programs for HOPE, said all proceeds donated will go to HOPE, but specifically be designated to the emergency domestic violence shelter program.

The fundraiser will have a silent auction and two different bands are set to perform.

“It is a great night for the community to come together and have a lot of fun,” Hunt said.

Hunt said the silent auction would feature a variety of items for people to buy.

“The auction has a little bit of everything from art pieces, jewelry, gift certificates, paintings,” Hunt said.

Hunt said the fundraiser has been hosted at the JAC for the past 13 years, beginning when she met with the coffee shop’s previous owners.

“We usually get a great crowd of Eastern students and community members,” Hunt said.

Dano Reible, co-owner of the JAC, said his business helps HOPE because the shop is community-oriented, and this event gives the JAC the opportunity to give back and HOPE the opportunity to host a fundraiser without having to deal with costs.

“We provide the space and all the silent auction items are donated, and we don’t charge any fee to HOPE, and the bands volunteer their time,” Reible said.

The two different bands that are playing are Big Blue Moon, a bluegrass folk band, and Motherload, a folk and rock band.

The bands will start playing around 6 p.m. and will be followed by the silent auction, which has over 130 items being auctioned.

Reible said the turnout has always been positive from the community and Eastern students.

“A lot of the students that come in and study are also around to stick around and help support any community event,” Reible said.

Hunt said that in addition to this fundraiser, HOPE does host additional fundraisers throughout the year, such as Bowls of HOPE, which is hosted in February.

AJ Fournier can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].