More to greek life than meets the eye

Carole Hodorowicz, Copy Editor

A new semester means more than new notebooks, pencils and class schedules. It also means new Greek Life members are walking around campus sporting their letters.

Every time I see a new member of the Greek community, it reminds me of when I decided to go through recruitment during the first semester of my freshman year.

Joining a sorority was an impulsive decision. Greek letters were the last thing I thought I would add to my wardrobe and identity. I wanted to be more than 100 and something pounds of fresh meat added onto campus, and after persistent encouragement from my roommate, going through this process seemed like the best way for me to solidify my new life on a new campus.

My family, friends from home and peers were equally as surprised as I was that I became a member of Eastern’s Greek community.

Two years later, people still tell me, “You don’t seem like the typical sorority girl.”

To name a few ingredients, the recipe for the “typical sorority girl” seems to require the following: an obsession with the color pink, a knowledge of makeup that knows no bounds and a language primarily of squeals and giggles.

Although these are the girls we see on T.V. and in movies, this portrayal does not account for all of the women, from both in my own sorority and the other sororities on campus, I have had the opportunity to meet through Greek Life.

Joining a sorority provides members with more than an expanding social circle and an increasing list of Instagram followers.

Entertainment forgets to show audiences the other perks of being a sorority woman.

If I had never joined a sorority, I would not have found the confidence to pursue an education in journalism. The constant support and encouragement from my sisters made me not only a stronger writer, but also a stronger woman.

The women in my chapter share the same beliefs and values as I do. They strengthen my voice when I am too afraid to speak, pick me back up when I fall, and remind me of who I am and who I can be when I find myself drowning in doubt.

Most importantly, it has provided me with the opportunity to become a part of something bigger than myself.

This opportunity is most evident through the community service events I have participated in through my sorority’s philanthropic partner, the Special Olympics. Through this partnership, I have been able to spend the day having fun with Special Olympics athletes and their families at the Special Olympics Family Festival, encourage Special Olympics athletes, help run sporting events at the Special Olympics Games and freeze for a reason by jumping into Lake Sarah to raise money and awareness at the Polar Plunge.

My younger brother, Michael, has autism and it is impossible for me to find the words to describe the impact he has made and continues to make on my life every day. Going to college was hard at first—it meant there would be less laughs, hugs and smiles we could share.

By joining my sorority and volunteering with Special Olympics, I am able to remain connected to Michael although miles are between us. I am able to make an impact I would not have been able to if I had not become a member of my sorority.

Next time you see me or one of the many other Greek members on campus, think before you roll your eyes or gossip to your friends.

We all want to be someone and we all want to belong somewhere. Who do you want to be and where do you want to be? What is driving you to get there?

Carole Hodorowicz can reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]