Masked men cause confusion

These three claim to be the masked men who were spotted in Charleston this past weekend. These three, however, deny the use of any weapons.

JJ Bullock

JJ Bullock

JJ Bullock, Assistant Sports Editor

Three men wearing horror-movie-inspired masks and allegedly wielding knives were spotted near campus this weekend, where they reportedly followed people walking down the sidewalk and knocked on the windows of homes.

The Charleston Police Department declined to comment about the incidents, instead saying to file a Freedom of Information Act request for more details.

On Saturday around midnight, the men approached a group of women, including Eastern student Alex Schulte, sitting on their porch on the 1100 block of Sixth Street and surrounded the porch while wearing dark clothing and masks.

“They were just staring at us and like tilting their hands and would point at one of us,” Schulte said. “Someone said something, then they ran away.”

Later that same night one of Schulte’s roommates heard a knock on her bedroom window they believe was from the same men.

The trio returned to the home Sunday night, this time, tapping on the windows of the home while the girls were in their living room doing homework. Shulte said they assumed the knock was someone they knew passing through the yard, but it was the same three men instead.

“Here they were again, all standing outside our window watching us,” she said. “We had no idea how long they were there for or anything. We didn’t notice them until they tapped on our window.”

At around 11 p.m. on Saturday night, a different female student who asked to remain anonymous was walking down the sidewalk from her apartment on 9th Street, when she says she noticed a car parked by a stop sign.  Three people, one wearing a Jason Voorhees mask, from the movie “Friday the 13th” and one wearing a white wig, exited the vehicle and began to follow her “uncomfortably closely” down the sidewalk.

“They didn’t say anything or touch me,” she said. “But a car came by and they ran back to their vehicle.”

Since the incidents happened over the weekend, a twitter account with the handle @MaskedMen4 and a bio that reads “We’re watching you,” claimed in an interview to be the same men involved with the sightings.

However, the twitter account denied the use of any knives during the incidents, saying they do not use them for “safety purposes.”

“Our intentions are to only scare/prank, not harm,” they said in an interview. “We do it for a YouTube channel and the thrill of enjoyment. We don’t use knives, that was a false accusation. We never touch or harm anyone.”

The self-named “Masked Men” plan on continuing their pranks in the future, despite calls to the police and conflicting reports on the use of weapons.

“We don’t want to get in trouble or harm anyone and want to do everything in legal terms only,” they said. “All fun and games, that’s it. We will most likely do more though.”

JJ Bullock can be reached at 581-2812 or jpbullock@eiu.edu

5 Comments

• Doris Daze

They are endangering both other people and themselves. I hope none of their victims are armed. On their Twitter someone says it’s fraternity pledging. Eastern, please look into that.

Lori Root Reply:

Exactly! Someone is going to beat the crap out of them or shoot them.

Ben Grapperhaus Reply:

To touch on your comment about fraternity pledging, no bids have been signed yet for any fraternity meaning no pledging processes has began. The chapter that was called out on twitter was my own and when a member does sign their bid we follow a strict 96 hour policy where the student does online modules to become educated on the Fraternity and then is initiated within 96 hours. In that time there is no hazing of any kind. After they are initiated they are a full member and have all the rights of a member who has been in the chapter for three years. That member has every right to make their own decisions. With that being said my chapter does not have any affiliation with these people in masks and do not condone their actions. I apologize that the tweet caused confusion against my own or any other fraternity on EIU’s campus.

I hope this doesn’t come off like an attack, just trying to educate on the subject.

• Deb Landsaw

They arent men.. they are high school students. Ask around in the junior class and you can find our wbo they are. Stupid move but meant no harm.

• Local dude

So it seems that the reporter of this story followed and “caught” these three 16yr olds (who were in the wrong and using poor judgement) and offered to let them go if they agreed to have their picture taken. It’s a better story if they were still on the loose I guess. Well played DEN!

Masked men cause confusion