Volleyball plays first road matches

Bryan Bund

Middlehitter Abby Knight spikes the ball against Belmont defenders Friday at Lantz Arena. The Panthers fell 1-3 in four sets.

Kaitlin Cordes, Volleyball Reporter

The volleyball team will travel for the first time this season as they head to Colorado for the Denver Tournament to take on the University of Denver, UC Davis and Niagara University.

University of Denver

The Pioneers’ 2017 campaign started off on the right foot as the team swept Tennessee State last week. Denver made quick work of the match too, beating Tennessee State 25-17, 25-22 and 25-10.

The Pioneers outscored the Tigers in kills 34-30 over the three sets. Kayla Principato was the only Pioneer to reach double digits in kills with 10. Eastern junior Taylor Smith currently leads the team in kills at 29. Last season, Principato was locked in a four-way tie for the top scorer in kills at 116.

Eastern should have no problem out blocking Denver as the Pioneers registered just four blocks in their season opener. The Panthers put up double digit numbers in each match of their home opener with sophomore Maggie Runge posting the team’s most solo blocks at three.

One thing the Panthers will have to watch for when facing Denver is their ability to overcome early deficits. In sets one and two against Tennessee State, Denver was down by as many as four points but rallied consecutive kills to tie the scores and eventually take the win.

UC Davis

The Aggies proved to be an offense-driven team in their season opener doubleheader against Eastern Washington and University of Nevada-Las Vegas. UC Davis beat each of their opponents last weekend, winning 22-25, 25-20, 25-14, 25-11 over Eastern Washington and 25-20, 25-21, 23-25, 25-21 over UNLV.

Outside hitter Lauren Matias totaled 21 kills and eight solo blocks over the two matches while middle Lauren Jackson scored seven blocks and seven kills. Outside hitter Brianna Karsseboom walked away with the tournament most valuable player title after notching a team high of 31 kills.

Eastern will need to be prepared for the Aggies’ tendency to go on unanswered runs. In the second set of their match against UNLV, UC Davis was down 14-12, but a 8-0 run boosted the team with the help of aces by Emily Allen.

This is the first time Eastern will face UC Davis. Matias and Karsseboom will be the players the Panthers should watch for this weekend.

Niagara

Niagara comes into the tournament dropped to 0-3 on the season after a recent loss to Syracuse. Syracuse swept Niagara 25-16, 25-20, 25-22 last weekend.

The Niagara Purple Eagles managed to regain a lead in each set, but it just was not enough for the Purple Eagles. Nicole Matheis lead her team with 10 kills and a .304 attacking percentage.

Niagara will be a team that doesn’t let much drop. Libero Rylee Hunt keeps the Purple Eagles’ back row solid; in the Syracuse Tournament against Syracuse and Grand Canyon University, Hunt lead the team in digs with 42. Eastern sophomore Anne Hughes currently leads the team in digs with 67.

The Panthers will open tournament play against Niagara Friday for just the second time in program history. The last time the two teams met was in 2011, and the Panthers narrowly lost to the Purple Eagles in four sets at 25-23, 23-25, 26-24, 25-21.

Kaitlin Cordes can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]