Nicholson builds on passion for field events

Kaitlin Cordes, Track and Field Reporter

Freshman Abby Nicholson’s passion for field events developed from watching her older brother compete in high school.

She decided throwing in fifth grade when she decided she wanted to try the sport herself. Nicholson said that was the moment she fell in love with throwing, and she found success early in her athletic career.

“I went to state every year from sixth grade to a senior in high school. My team placed second in the 1A state championships in 2015 and placed first in 2016,” Nicholson said.

As a senior at Salt Fork High School in Catlin, Ill., Nicholson placed fourth in the state in shot put with a finals mark of 41’08” and sixth in discus with a throw of 131’03”.

When comparing the competition in high school to the collegiate level, Nicholson said it is much more exciting in college and is very intense because every competitor is skilled.

Nicholson throws the javelin and participates in the weight throw in addition to throwing shot put and discus for Eastern. Of her four events, Nicholson decisively chose shot put as the event she enjoys the most.

“Shot put would have to be my favorite because it’s the event that I have the most success in and feel the most comfortable with,” Nicholson said. Nicholson recorded her first throws as a Panther at the John Craft Invite and the Indiana Relays. At the John Craft Invite, she placed fifth in shot put with a throw of 40’09.75” and 12th in the weight throw at 41’09.75”. Nicholson placed 19th in shot put at Indiana at 41’03.75”.

Nicholson said what initially attracted her to Eastern was its campus and its small-town feel, and the track and field team and coaches sealed the deal for her.

The upperclassmen on the women’s field squad are who she admires the most, she said.

“I look up to the upperclassmen girls Nikki (Diana), Bryn (Buckwalter), and Lexie (Yeley). They all work hard and always have positive attitudes. They have helped me so much this year,” she said.

Nicholson said one of her worst habits prior to a competition is getting nervous. To keep her mind of the nerves and the competition ahead, she said she talks to other athletes around her or listens to music. One “pre-meet” ritual she said she sticks to is eating pasta the day before a meet.

Although athletics is a big part of her life, Nicholson said she makes time for her family, friends and boyfriend, too. Nicholson described her family as being very close. She has an older sister, Kristie, and her older brother’s name is Cody who she said are her best friends. At home, her mom and dad care for the family’s four dogs, Ellie, Moose, Nala and Tinkerbell.

She said her free time is also spent sleeping, watching Netflix and knitting, a hobby she said not everyone know she partakes in.

Nicholson is majoring in Management Information Systems and said she would like to pursue a career in information technology.

Kaitlin Cordes can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]