Students have mixed feelings on daylight saving

Samuel Nusbaum, Administration Reporter

Early Sunday morning, clocks across the country changed for daylight saving time.

People have made their clocks, phones and watches fall one hour behind.

The U.S. started using daylight saving time in 1918 during World War I.

Rylee Garrett, a junior marketing major, said she thinks daylight saving time helps students.

“They will probably end up sleeping that extra hour,” she said.

Garrett said she does not know where the idea for daylight saving time came from, but she does like it, as gaining an hour of sleep is better than losing an hour.

Rachel Garippo, a senior health administration major, said she did not set her clock back because she uses her phone’s alarm and her stopwatch to know when to get up.

However, she still set a backup alarm in case her phone did not change the time itself.

Like Garrett, Garippo also thinks daylight saving time helps students with their sleep.

“Hopefully they do not get tired throughout the day and do not need a nap,” Garippo said.

She said she likes the daylight during fall, but does not like losing it in the spring.

Adrian Janik, a junior health administration major, said he also uses his phone for an alarm.

He said he likes daylight saving time, and it could possibly help students with their academics.

“There is still 24 hours in a day so it depends on if you study during the day or not,” Janik said.

Marina Haji, a sophomore kinesiology and sports studies major, said she uses her phone as a clock, both at Eastern and at home.

She said she does not mind the idea of daylight saving time, though she does not like the idea of setting the time back an hour.

“You really do not gain an hour of sleep. I think it is just a myth,” Haji said.

Haji said the day did not gain an hour, as there are not 25 hours in the day; it is still 24.

Haji said she likes the spring more because it seems to her there is more natural light then.

She said she does not like how it gets darker earlier because of the time change.

Samuel Nusbaum can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].