Column: Makeup is a form of art

Abbey Whittington, Associate News Editor

Symmetry, blending and contour are all three examples of vocabulary words for techniques and elements which can be found in art textbooks as well as when using makeup, but for some reason, many still do not consider makeup an art.

Some may not consider makeup an art because many picture the craft as a sculpture or painting, but makeup can meet all of the same criteria of many artworks.

Going to a drug or retail store, Sephora, Ulta or any other makeup shop to purchase beauty products is the same as when an artist is buying their art supplies. The only difference is one of their canvases happens to be a face.

The artist goes to pick their brushes whether it is for blending foundation, concealer or eyeshadows, just like an artist would based on what medium they are using to create their work.

These supplies are purchased by the artist based on the quality of the product, how the product will benefit or work on their canvas and the overall theme of their piece.

Whether it is making eyeliner symmetrical to the shape of your eyes and/or eyebrows, contouring or highlighting your cheekbones or painting your lips, makeup techniques can be compared to a painter’s.

Others may be critical of makeup being considered an art because of their own personal preferences to being natural and beliefs that others would look better or “more beautiful” without it.

While it is okay to have a personal preference somewhere between getting into full drag or wearing a naked face, people should be accepting of whatever makes a person most confident and comfortable instead of telling someone the “right way” to be beautiful.

It is also aggravating for those who are in the industry or enjoy doing a full face of makeup to hear that they look unnatural because, trust me, they are aware that their cheeks do not always glow with highlight or have multi-colored eyelids.

There are also instances where people wear little to no makeup so they do not consider their routine an art. However, those who do take the time to do full faces of makeup and/or work in the industry should be given the credit they deserve.

Just like any artist, whether the medium is clay, watercolors, acrylic paint, lipstick or eyeshadow, all share the same goals for the artist: self expression.

Abbey Whittington is a sophomore journalism major and can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].