Column: Find a family in Greek life

Nicole Kink, Staff Reporter

With sorority recruitment just around the corner, many girls are faced with the decision of whether or not to go Greek during their time in college.

Coming in my freshman year, the thought of sorority recruitment terrified me. I always had more guy friends, so making friends with an entire sorority full of girls seemed like a lot of drama. I know many girls struggle with this same decision, but it is important to know that there is no wrong choice.

However, while making this decision, it is crucial to keep in mind the many misconceptions surrounding sorority life, most of which can be seen in television shows and movies.

When imagining “sorority life,” I immediately referred back to Legally Blonde and Greek. I did not act like those girls, so I was not sure if I would fit in to the ideal “sorority girl” image.

Luckily, when I first stepped foot into my chapter house on bid day I was pleasantly surprised.

I did not see the walls doused in shades of pink, and the girls were not having pillow fights while jumping up and down. Instead they welcomed me with open arms and open boxes of pizza.

That experience was the first of many lessons. I realized that being in a sorority was not as superficial as the media portrayed it to be. In reality, it was about so much more, including opportunity and leadership.

Upon accepting a bid into a chapter, new members are usually greeted by a sea of women waiting eagerly to meet them. It may seem overwhelming at first, but those girls will quickly turn into friends, and those friends will quickly turn into family.

My sorority gave me the opportunity to meet so many different kinds of people from all across Illinois. Honestly, it was nice to have a group of friends outside of my dorm floor. Little did I know, these girls were going to be some of the greatest individuals that I have ever met. They were not as catty as what people make sorority girls out to be.

Much to my surprise as well, being in a sorority was not all about going to parties and having slumber parties every night.

My chapter allowed me the opportunity of taking on different leadership positions. I got the chance to coach ‘Yell Like Hell’ during Homecoming my sophomore year, and I was Alumni Relations Chairman my junior and senior year. These positions are ones that hold a spot on my resume.

Along with these experiences are the many hours of community service I had to complete every semester as an active member. I never thought that as a sorority woman I would have to maintain a certain GPA and participate in study hours every week, but I was glad I did. These opportunities gave me the organization I needed in order to time manage myself wisely.

So before making a final decision, remember to always keep an open mind. It is important to not listen to rumors and to base each house off of the people inside of it. There is a house for every one and once you find it, it is home.

Nicole Kink is a senior English language arts major. She can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].