Stage company to perform ‘Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat’

Sam Fishel, Staff Reporter

The Central Illinois Stage Company will perform their summer musical, the Andrew Lloyd Webber classic Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, from July 13-17 at Salisbury Church, 2350 Madison Ave., Charleston.

The musical tells the Biblical story of Joseph and his “coat of many colors” as his jealous brothers sell him into slavery in Egypt. Joseph’s gift of dream interpretation eventually lands him a prime position with the Elvis-impersonating Pharaoh before reconciling with his brothers.

Producer Lynda Helmuth said the cast and crew of CISCO are excited to perform the upcoming show.

Joseph has always been a favorite,” Helmuth said. “One cannot deny the wonderful message the show brings to the audience.”

Helmuth said CISCO selects shows that not only appeal to the cast and crew but that are also family-friendly. In previous years, they have performed A Grand Night for Singing, The Music Man and The Sound of Music.

Nick Shaw, a cast member (Rueben) as well as a theater studies professor at Eastern, said he enjoys working with people of varying ages and experience in theater.

“I am very excited to be a part of this production, and I hope that I have passed on a love for theatre [sic] to some of the younger people in this show, similar to how people older and wiser passed it on to me,” Shaw said.

Charity Ozier, a cast member (Naphtali) and teacher at Casey-Westfield High School, said she has enjoyed the show because it has given her new opportunities to perform.

“I’ve been having a blast! This show has given me the chance to do something out of the ordinary,” she said.

The actors voiced their pleasure with the intimacy that has grown between them during the production.

Scott Wattles, a cast member (Pharaoh) and local band member, said, “It’s amazing how the camaraderie of the cast has developed in such a short time.”

Ozier added, “It’s been amazing how we (the cast) have become a small family in the short amount of time that we’ve been rehearsing together.”

Performance times for Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat are at 7:30 p.m. each night July 13-16, as well 2 p.m. matinees on Saturday and Sunday. Ticket prices are $13 for adults and $8 for children 12 and under. House doors open 30 minutes prior to the performance.

For more information about the show and to learn more about CISCO, check out their Facebook group.

Sam Fishel can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected].