Glassman sends budget update to campus community

Kevin Hall

David Glassman, newly elected president of Eastern, speaks at a press conference introducing him as the new president at the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union, Mon. March 2, 2015 in the University Ballroom. Glassman will begin his position this summer June 1, 2015.

Jason Howell, Editor-in-Chief

Updated: With information from President Glassman.

Despite the state of Illinois passing the one-year mark of not passing a full budget, there are no new plans for layoffs.

In an email to the campus community, President David Glassman said that the current level of layoffs have gone from efficiency to inefficiency in some areas.

Should more layoffs of civil service employees be necessary, they would be in the form of two-week, three-week or 29-day emergency temporary layoffs.

“Those laid off would return immediately to their current positions and no bumping activity would occur,” he said.

Furloughs are not planned to be continued in the 2017 fiscal year.

Without additional funding, July and August would be challenging fiscally as this is the time before the university receives tuition revenue.

Glassman reiterated that the university would remain open, though additional cost-cutting measures may be needed between summer and the next school year.

“In light of this concern, it is imperative that we refrain from any end-of-year spending of division and department operation and gift accounts,” he said.

In an email to The News, Glassman said funds in gift accounts would not be lost and all operating accounts would be replenished in the fall.

In the budget update email, Glassman said individual notifications for employees waiting on decisions for reappointment such as Unit B faculty, assistant coaches, student affairs, are beginning and will continue throughout the summer as further assessments occur.

“I apologize for not being able to let you all know immediately and realize the importance to you and your families of a timely decision,” he said.

This story will be updated as more information becomes available.

Jason Howell can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]