Softball set to wrap up regular season at home

+Senior+shortstop+Katie+Watson+throws+the+ball+to+first+base+for+the+out+March+22.+at+Williams+Field.

Sean Hastings

Senior shortstop Katie Watson throws the ball to first base for the out March 22. at Williams Field.

The Eastern softball team will play its final regular season series this weekend at home before heading to the Ohio Valley Conference Tournament Wednesday.

The Panthers will have a chance to secure the No. 2 seed for the tournament this weekend as well. Eastern has a 15-7 OVC record.

Eastern is tied with Eastern Kentucky but the Panthers hold the tiebreaker as they beat the Colonels both times this season.

This weekend, the Panthers will welcome in Southeast Missouri, who has not had a very good season. They are currently 9-15 and in 10th place in the conference. For them to get into the tournament, they will have to win all three games this weekend and hope the teams in front of them lose.

Eastern will also celebrate senior day and honor Haylee Beck, Katie Watson, Kylie Bennett, April Markowski, and Jennette Isaac.

Ever since the Panthers went on a six-game losing streak in early April, they have gone on to win 11-12.

During the win streak, sophomore pitchers Jessica Wireman and Michelle Rogers have been great. Wireman has an ERA of 3.18 and Rogers is sitting at 4.44.

Both Wireman and Rogers are just two wins below .500. Wireman is 15-17 and Rogers is 6-8.

Eastern has been unbeatable at home this season as they are 8-0 in OVC play when playing at Williams Field.

This weekend will be about celebrating senior day for the five seniors, and securing the No. 2 seed for the tournament. Eastern has already clinched a spot in the tournament.

Eastern and Southeast Missouri will open up the series with a doubleheader Saturday with game one starting at 1 p.m. and game two starting at 3 p.m. The teams will wrap up the series Sunday with a game at noon.

Sean Hastings can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]