Men’s Golf ready to tee off at OVC championship

Adam Shay, Staff Reporter

The Panthers are ready to tee off at the 54-hole OVC Championship on April 25-27 at The Shoals in Muscle Shoals, Alabama.

Last weekend at the 44th Annual Beu Mussatto Invite, the Panthers shot a combined 925 score, their second best score all year. The Panthers finished seventh out of 12, making it their highest placing all year.

Freshman Alvaro Hernandez led the team last weekend with a low score of 221, tying his second-lowest score of the season. Along with the low score, he tied for eighth, shattering his best placement from 16th.

Hernandez is satisfied with his score but he acknowledges what he could have done better.

“I could’ve made some more putts on the second round,” Hernandez said. “But overall I played solid all three rounds.”

Freshman Kevin Altenberger and senior Will Drerup both had a season low golf scores last weekend. Altenberger scored a 244 and Drerup scored a 246.

Freshman Charlie Adare also had his second-lowest score of the season with 224, coming close to his personal best at 221.

Sophomore Alex Gowin had his highest score last weekend golfing a 247. Gowin knows what he needs to do in order to prepare for the OVC Championship.

“I focused harder on my short game (putting and chipping),” Gowin said. “The course we play has many challenges around the greens.”

Hernandez says with the team’s highest placing, their confidence is high going into this weekend’s championship. However, they need to keep their composure.

“The level of competition is a lot higher here at the conference, so we can’t be complacent,” Hernandez said. “We just need to try and play our best golf.”

In order for the Panthers to play their best golf, Hernandez says there are a couple factors the team needs to focus on.

“We just have to stay positive on the golf course and never give up,” Hernandez said. “Putting is going to be key this week too.”

Looking ahead towards next fall, Hernandez will focus on a couple aspects of his game.

“I will work hard on my short game,” he said. “Mainly distance control with my wedges and putting.”

The OVC Championship will consist of 11 teams. All of them will have their practice rounds on Sunday, April 24. Tee off time will be at 8 a.m. Monday morning.

The greens are hilly at the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail, which will cause the Panthers to adapt and strategically place their shots for easier putts, Hernandez said.

Last year’s winner was Eastern Kentucky, making it their 12th championship victory since 1975. As a team, their overall score was a low 868 and four over par led by now sophomore Jared Brown. He shot par last year, scoring a 216.

As an overall season, the Panthers had an up and down season but still showing upside. Their lowest 54-hole season was during the F&M Bank APSU Intercollegiate tournament back in October. They shot a low 879, yet finished 11th out of 12.

Adam Shay can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].