Potluck to bring a taste of Asian Heritage

Datasia Lenton, Staff Reporter

In honor of Asian Heritage Month, Eastern’s Association of International Students and the Indian Student Association will be hosting an event called “Food, Fashion and Festival.”

“Food, Fashion and Festival” will incorporate a potluck, music and a fashion show for the enjoyment of the international students, Christian Campus House members, Eastern faculty and students alike.

The event will take place 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday at the Christian Campus House.

Venkata Basava R. Goriparthi, the president of the Indian Student Association, said the organization merged with the international potluck in order to be a part of Asian Heritage Month.

“Because the Indian Student Association is contributing as a part of Asian Heritage Month, we agreed to merge the festival with the international potluck,” said Goriparthi.

Lisa Perfors, a full-time intern at the Christian Campus House, said the event is likely to create a level of comfort for the international students who participate.

“Normally we don’t host outside groups,” Perfors said. “We thought it would be a good idea and a good way to connect with the international students.”

Goriparthi said he had to attend meetings for about three weeks to plan the event.

“We had to sort issues out and then we had to work to accommodate so many people in a particular place,” Goriparthi said.

Almost all of the international students, American students and a few members of the Eastern administration will be present.

About 150 to 300 people will be present, Goriparthi said.

“Primarily, its about food. Food from India, China, Japan, Korea, Sri Lanka and Nepal,” Goriparthi said. “All of the countries that are a part of Asia and all of the international students from Asia that are present on campus will be presenting their food and they’ll try to dress up in their culture.”

Perfors said she believes it is valuable to connect the international students with the students who are members of the Christian Campus House. The potluck is one way to do so.

Overall, the potluck is a way for the international community of Eastern to show their culture, tradition, food and customs, Goriparthi said.

“It will also help us to bring people together and have a good time,” Goriparthi said. “They will get to enjoy lots of good food and get to meet lots of good people.”

Goriparthi said they hope “Food, Fashion and Festival” will introduce their culture, which is on the other side of the world, to Eastern’s community at large.

Datasia Lenton can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected]