Column: The distance from Eastern to home is ruff

Abbey Whittington, Entertainment Editor

I would like to begin by apologizing and warning readers that my inner crazy dog lady will be unleashed in this column.

I do not wish to offend to my human friends and family for showing appreciation to my dogs over them.

I think one of my biggest struggles as a freshman in college has been the distance between me and my five furry friends.

Yes, five. Three Chihuahuas and two beagles, and I would not mind having five more. Or 10. Or 20.

My two beagles, Bella and Buster, and my three Chihuahuas, Mister, Frenchie, and Lily are more than just household pets; they are family members. All five have big personalities that make my heart burst with joy.

I am a crazy dog lady from a crazy dog family, and we make sure to celebrate their birthdays as well as Christmas. And yes, our Chihuahuas have their own sweaters and winter coats, but I promise they love it.

Every year we wrap dog treats and toys in Christmas wrapping paper, and they open the presents themselves.

In addition to celebrating holidays and birthdays with our dog family, my mom and stepdad both have tattoos of our dogs.

My mom has a tattoo of Mister, my stepdad has a tattoo of our deceased boxer, Dobie, and I will eventually get one of Lily.

The moral support I have received from my dogs has been immeasurable and unconditional.

I feel there may be a telepathic or spiritual connection between us because every time I am upset, it’s as if they are notified and come to my aid.

While coming to Eastern has been a great experience, sometimes I wish I could have been home with my dogs to cheer myself up during the stressful weeks I’ve had at school.

I miss having a literal dog pile on me when I would wake up in the morning or when I went to take a nap.

In coping with the hardships of doggy long distance, my siblings have sent me Snapchats of our furry friends. Any opportunity I’ve had to interact with a dog, I have taken.

Not only do I love the relationship I have with my dogs, but I also appreciate seeing the close relationships they have with each other.

My family got our beagles from a farm, and all three of our Chihuahuas were rescued. On a cold night in March, we found Mister in our backyard, and when we put up found signs no one claimed him, so we took him in.

We found Lily on a lost and found Facebook page, and when no one claimed her, we took her in as well.

Frenchie was saved from an abusive home by an animal shelter called Settler’s Pond, and after visiting the shelter we took her home with us (we almost took two dogs home that day.)

These five pups are not only best friends with our family, but with each other, and knowing we have given them a better home is a good feeling.

I hope more people consider rescuing their dogs rather than buying one from a pet store that probably came from a puppy mill.

Abbey Whittington is a freshman journalism major. She can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].