Golf team finishes 15th Tuesday, set to play Western Illinois invite

Jack Arkus, Staff Reporter

Tuesday was a slightly less busy day at the Arkansas State Red Wolf Intercollegiate, but there was a lot at stake in the conclusive round.

With the final round of 18 holes being played Tuesday, the fifteen schools participating in this year’s annual tournament used the second day of play to try and gain some leverage in the overall standings.

The Panthers came into Tuesday in fifteenth place. All five Panther constants finished over par during the first two rounds.

The third round was not much different, as Eastern finished the tournament in last place.

As a team, the Panthers were 106 over par through 3 rounds. This was the second tournament this spring that Eastern finished in the bottom spot.

Arkansas State looked to come out on top heading into Tuesday with a comfortable lead but ended up tying for first place.

Tennessee-Martin was the school that came out on top, along with Arkansas State. Arkansas State shot +13 on the day as a team, which allowed room for UT Martin to capitalize and jump up one spot to a first place win.

Tennessee-Martin shot +7 in the third round and both teams finished even for the tournament.

Both Florida Atlantic and Belmont made a final push on the leaderboard as both teams jumped up two spots during their play on Tuesday. Belmont finished in 3rd place for the tournament, while Florida Atlantic placed just under Belmont in 4th place.

Sophomore Alex Gowin had the best day for the Panthers shooting +5 over par. Freshman Alvaro Hernandez shot 226 in his three days of action which was the best score of the five Panther participants.

Tennessee Martin led the tournament in pars with 171. Arkansas State finished with a tournament high of 58 birdies and Florida Atlantic acquired the most eagles, with 3.

The Panthers will play their next match April 13th and 14th at the Western Illinois Invite in Macomb, IL.

Jack Arkus can be reached at 581-2812 or at [email protected]