Senators set to listen to speaker elections, vote on bill, bylaw change

Analicia Haynes, Administration Editor

The Student Senate will listen to presentations from candidates running for speaker of the senate and vote on a bill and a bylaw change at its meeting at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Arcola-Tuscola Room of the Martin Luther King Jr. University Union.

The candidates for the future speaker of the senate will also introduce themselves to the senate and present their platforms.

Student Body President Shirmeen Ahmad said two candidates are running for speaker.

Katie St. John, the student external affairs committee chair, and Chris Pickard, the student university enhancement committee chair, will be giving their speeches for the position.

Ahmad said because the new senators get sworn Wednesday, the candidates for speaker only give their speeches and answer questions.

“It gives everyone a week to process what the candidate is saying, and they really get to know who would take over,” Ahmad said.

Senators will vote on the speaker at next week’s meeting.

The student university enhancement committee will be giving a presentation on their bill, which calls for the purchase of four recycling lids.

“The university enhancement committee, along with the help of the former campus sustainability coordinator, has determined that four new lids can help address this issue at the four receptacles between Coleman, Lumpkin and Klehm halls,” according to the rationale.

The bill asks for the release of $430 from the student government budget.

The lids will be ordered from Pilot Rock, the company that supplied the current cans and lids on campus.

“The new lids would have a much bigger opening and allow the ease of use in these high traffic areas,” according to the rationale.

Pickard will also be presenting the bill and answering senator questions.

St. John will present the bylaw change as well.

According to the rationale, the bylaw change is meant to clear up confusion regarding the responsibilities the committee and the chair have.

“The reason for the majority of the changes is because the committee does not need to be comprised of non-voting members as we do not vote on much in our committee, rather plan different events that include the Charleston and Eastern community,” according to the rationale.

Analicia Haynes can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].