Column: Please leave the ‘80s, ‘90s nostalgia alone

Lauren McQueen, Managing Editor

“Mulan.” “Tarzan.” “Beauty and the Beast.” “The Little Mermaid.”

These are all Disney movies you should recognize from the ‘80s and ‘90s.

But did you know they are all going to be made into live-action movies within the next few years?

We’ve seen this a thousand times already; “Cinderella,” “The Jungle Book,” “Alice in Wonderland,” and “Peter Pan” have all been made into live-action movies recently.

But why?

It’s not like those years were that long ago. It would be different if they were remakes from 50 years ago.

Are filmmakers really that unoriginal these days or do they just think we are all stuck in this ‘90s nostalgia?

Don’t get me wrong; a lot of great things came out of the ‘90s. But a lot of things should also stay there–platform sneakers, slap bracelets, and scrunchies to name a few.

And sometimes TV shows and movies.

Movies and TV shows from the ‘80s and ‘90s seem to be being remade left and right these days.

We have had “Footloose,” “The Karate Kid,” “21 Jump Street” and soon we will add “Ghostbusters” to that list. “Dirty Dancing” is even being remade into a three-hour musical version that will air on TV.

But wait, there’s more.

“Boy Meets World” recently had a spin-off “Girl Meets World.” The sappy, yet relatable, ‘90s show we all loved traded in Cory Matthews for his daughter Riley as she navigates through junior high, but the new show doesn’t even come close in comparison.

Spin-offs and sequels are usually bad enough, why put us through remakes, too?

Some of my favorite shows and movies from when I was younger are being remade and so far, I have been nothing but disappointed. I had waited for “Girl Meets World” to air since I was in high school and was immediately let down.

And I can’t say “Fuller House” did much more for me. While I would have been even more disappointed if they hadn’t brought back the original cast, I felt like I found myself laughing more at the new characters anyway.

We also saw “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles” be remade, but “The Powerpuff Girls” and “Hey, Arnold!” are also making comebacks soon.

Some of my favorite movies from the ‘90s are also being remade, and while I want to say I will give them a chance, part of me really doesn’t want to ruin the original.

“Jumanji” and “She’s All That” are in the works to be remade. Both of these movies have actors who have recently died, Robin Williams and Paul Walker, and I don’t think a sub-par remake of their classic movie is going to do them any justice either.

“Kindergarten Cop” is getting a sequel which, by the looks of the trailer, is going to be mediocre; and “The Mummy,” a movie I have seen a million times, is getting a remake in which Tom Cruise will play the main character. I’m so not excited.

Lastly, “Baywatch” is going to be remade into a movie starring Dwayne Johnson and Zac Efron.

Despite the lack of enthusiasm I have toward these remakes, I don’t doubt some of them will be worth watching.

But I’ll let others be the judge while I’m over here watching “Saved by the Bell” and waiting for the Spice Girls reunion tour to kick off.

Lauren McQueen is a junior journalism major. She can be reached at 581-2812 or [email protected].